The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Need help w/ Cheryl's scent choices

Guest Anonymous

Ok I have decided (I think) to replace one of my tealights with a 20W and figure if I am going to buy one and pay shipping might as well buy from Chery's candles so I can try her tarts also. I don't want to spend a huge amount on my first order (have done that before with another vendor and was disappointed) but I can not seem to narrow down my scent list. Here is what I have and I need to whittle it down some more.

Verbena Bamboo

Vanilla Extract

Saguaro Cactus

Painted Lady

Grammy's Strawberry Jam

Plum Crazee

Rasberry Sorbet

Lime Kiwi or Lime Sugar

Lemon Sugar or Sweet Lemon Sugar

Fizzy Pop

Gulf Tides

Melon Mist

Ginger Peach

DIVA

Bird of Paradise (a staple scent for me)

Apricot vanilla

Mint Tea

7 up pound cake

I prefer strong scents and don't like anything super sweet, floral or perfumey. Anyone tried any of these and loved them? Hated them? Any suggestions on which ones should make the final cut?

TIA

Of your list, the only two I have tried were Gulf Tides (good, fresh and slightly salty) and Melon Mist (very strong, sweet so I'm not sure you will love it, though I did). If I may suggest replacing one of those two, I think I'd trade Melon Mist since it's sweet for Bamboo, which is super strong, clean and fresh. In any event, I think you are going to be pleasantly surprised on this one.

Guest Anonymous
Ok I have decided (I think) to replace one of my tealights with a 20W and figure if I am going to buy one and pay shipping might as well buy from Chery's candles so I can try her tarts also. I don't want to spend a huge amount on my first order (have done that before with another vendor and was disappointed) but I can not seem to narrow down my scent list. Here is what I have and I need to whittle it down some more.

Verbena Bamboo

Vanilla Extract

Saguaro Cactus

Painted Lady

Grammy's Strawberry Jam

Plum Crazee

Rasberry Sorbet

Lime Kiwi or Lime Sugar

Lemon Sugar or Sweet Lemon Sugar

Fizzy Pop

Gulf Tides

Melon Mist

Ginger Peach

DIVA

Bird of Paradise (a staple scent for me)

Apricot vanilla

Mint Tea

7 up pound cake

I prefer strong scents and don't like anything super sweet, floral or perfumey. Anyone tried any of these and loved them? Hated them? Any suggestions on which ones should make the final cut?

TIA

I love her sweeet lemon sugar, lime sugar,raspberry sorbet, 7up poundcake& fizzy pop off of your list [smilie=Pattys_day] :lol: [smilie=th_BringItOn] [smilie=th_BringItOn]

Guest Anonymous

mommyluvs I just placed my first order with cheryls a few days ago, both tarts and candles. My list is totally different scents than yours, we will have to let each other know after trying some. I am very excited as this is my first etailer order for candles and tarts. I like really strong scents and not what most like. Here is my list if u want to know about these after I try them let me know.

Autumn wreat

blackberry sage

blackberry sage tea

by the fire

cotton blossom

lavender vanilla

ylang ylang

yuzu yuzu

sage & citus

fruity patchouli

heavenly

Guest Anonymous

Rox, I have that blackberry and sage down as a possibility too. I think I may have just ordered that from LOL and wanted to double check my order from them first.

Also curious about Black Ginger and Bamboo. I love Ginger scents.

Thanks everyone for the recs. May just end up having to place a bigger order than usual. I think her shipping is a little high so this isn't a place where I would normally place a bunch of small orders anyway. Guess if I don't like them I can always swap with someone.

Guest Anonymous
Rox, I have that blackberry and sage down as a possibility too. I think I may have just ordered that from LOL and wanted to double check my order from them first.

Also curious about Black Ginger and Bamboo. I love Ginger scents.

Thanks everyone for the recs. May just end up having to place a bigger order than usual. I think her shipping is a little high so this isn't a place where I would normally place a bunch of small orders anyway. Guess if I don't like them I can always swap with someone.

Cheryl is very good about shipping however you like. If your order will fit in a flat rate box she will be glad to ship it to you at that cost. I tend to order large orders that won't fit and she sends it priority but she will pack it well. As far as CS goes , Cheryls aims to please :shock:

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the help guys. Here is what I ordered

Item 254- 20W two piece tart burner in black

Item 247- 3 pack of tarts in the following scents

Grammy's Strawberry Jam

Plum Crazee

Painted Lady

Rasberry Sorbet

Lime Sugar

Lemon Sweet Sugar

Ginger Peach

Fizzy Pop

7 up pound cake

Apricot Vanilla

Citrus and Teakwood

Bird of paradise

Lovespell

Black Ginger and Bamboo

Kiwi Lime

Blackberry Sage

I allowed myself two orders w/ our tax return - LOL and Cheryl. And I placed two small ordred w/ Mad City Sue and Candledippers (first time ordered any of this type of bath and body). Now the spending freeze has to go back into effect. But at least I have some goodies coming!! Thanks for the help.

Guest Anonymous

Mommy: I'll be interested to see how you like your selections. I got my first order from Cheryl's yesterday and was really disappointed. Hope you do better with yours!

Guest Anonymous
Mommy: I'll be interested to see how you like your selections. I got my first order from Cheryl's yesterday and was really disappointed. Hope you do better with yours!

What were you disappointed with? Can you list scents you received or tried that was unsatsfactory? I always get her pound bags of bits & pieces for $6.65 because the individual tarts have so much oil in them that they are very soft. I have apple mango tango going right now and it is almost too strong. :shock: I am going to turn off my melters. Beth, E-mail Cheryl. She is all about customer satisfaction and no one wants to feel like they wasted their money. :lol:

Guest Anonymous

Ok, Beth, I did not want to hear that!!! LOL. Especially after I just placed a big order which is not my norm. I usually place very small orders with new vendors but made an exception because I was ordering a melter and wanted to make the most of the flat rate shipping. Why where you disappointed? Scent authenticity? Longevity? Throw? Just curious. What type scents did you get?

I know how frustrating that is. I was so disappointed in my Crosscreek order and it was the only other time I placed a big order with a new vendor. Hoping my order with CHeryl is not disappointing.

I'm sure Beth was not disappointed with scent throw or longevity because she just received her order yesterday so could not have possibly tried everything. It must have been something like packaging. Maybe something was damaged or crushed during delivery or she didn't get everything in her order.

Mommy, I wouldn't worry. I have heard only wonderful things about Cheryl's tarts.

Guest Anonymous

Gosh, Boogie you are correct. I totally missed her saying she just got the order yesterday.

Beth, still would be curious about why you were disappointed.

Guest Anonymous

Beth posted something about her Cheryl's tart in the Scent of the Day thread.....You might check there if she doesn't catch this post.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks, Mom. I hadn't seen that yet since it was after my post. Interesting. I had that experience with Candle-licious. Kind of a strange smell beneath the scent in all the tarts. Ended up throwing the entire order away.

I am hoping my nose does not pick up the same scent Beth did. If so I will not be throwing this order away! But I may end up posting them on the swap board. Keeping my fingers crossed that Chery's works out for me.

Guest Anonymous
Thanks, Mom. I hadn't seen that yet since it was after my post. Interesting. I had that experience with Candle-licious. Kind of a strange smell beneath the scent in all the tarts. Ended up throwing the entire order away.

I am hoping my nose does not pick up the same scent Beth did. If so I will not be throwing this order away! But I may end up posting them on the swap board. Keeping my fingers crossed that Chery's works out for me.

I had that same experience - but with Dreamtarts.....it's the one and only time I ever sent an entire order back for a refund (it was a rather large order based on the wild raves she was getting at the time.) It was worth it to me to send back because it clearly wasn't just a scent preference here and there - there was something in the formula that I picked up in every tart that didn't agree with me. I recently e-mailed back and forth with Cheryl about some questions I had and while I agree she is a TOTAL sweetheart, her tarts are no longer on my 'to-try' list.

Guest Anonymous

Mom, I would be happy to send you a few from my order if you would like so you can try them. Let me know if you see any scents listed from my order that interest you.

Guest Anonymous

Guess our noses perceive things differently. I have never gotten a soapy smell. I know what she means about that funky note because I have gotten that from other etailers and did not reorder. I have not tried the raspberry scent Beth says has the offending note (in the other thread) so can't comment. Cheryl would probably remake the order if that is the case but it could be that particular oil too. I know she discontinued a few awhile back because they were not what she wanted in an oil and she is always on the search for top notch oils.

Guest Anonymous

I only placed a small, first-time order (pack of six for each scent):

Raspberry Cinnamon & Clove

Lemon Sweet Sugar

Amazing Grace

Spiced Cranberry

Orange Pomander

Coco Milk & Lavender

Cranberry Orange

There were two small samples: Grammy's Strawberry Jam and Raspberry Sorbet.

And yes, it IS exactly like the undertone that was in an order that I received from DreamTarts a while ago. Of the above, only the Amazing Grace smells OK when melting, but it, too, had that weird cold sniff. Might have been from being next to the others in the box?

I did start melting last night, because all of my melters were empty, so I tried everything but the Lemon Sweet Sugar and the Raspberry Cinnamon & Clove, which I put on here at work this morning. So only the Lemon remains untried at this point, and probably will remain so. Everything else: trashcan.

The samples went straight into the trash without trying; the odd smell on them was so bad as to be repugnant.

The tarts were all in really bad shape, too. The inside of the bags were all marked up with wax, and the tarts themselves were all mottled and nicked. I cut into a few of the Orange Pomander ones to mix with the Cranberry, and they were white halfway through. They were packed well in the box, and it didn't look like they had been "tossed around" or anything for they were all "in their places", but they looked like they might've walked from California!!

Listen, a "bad order" can happen from anyone, so it's just a disappointment, not a huge deal. It goes with the territory of trying new things, and if the worst thing that happens to me this week is that I am disappointed in a tart order, then I am ahead of the game!

Hope this answered everyone's questions without hurting anyone's feelings.

I have not gotten my order from Chery'ls yet. I placed a decent size order a few weeks ago to take advantage of the flat rate shipping (big order for me at least, few dozen tarts). It was one of the last big orders I placed for tarts (as I am trying to use up some stash).

I have gotten 2-3 orders from different vendors that I just could not melt because of a funny undertone. A couple of them are favorites and have very good reviews. I wonder if it is something in the particular wax or additive each vendor uses. Maybe everyone's noses are sensitive to different things.[smilie=th_e16]

Guest Anonymous
I have not gotten my order from Chery'ls yet. I placed a decent size order a few weeks ago to take advantage of the flat rate shipping (big order for me at least, few dozen tarts). It was one of the last big orders I placed for tarts (as I am trying to use up some stash).

I have gotten 2-3 orders from different vendors that I just could not melt because of a funny undertone. A couple of them are favorites and have very good reviews. I wonder if it is something in the particular wax or additive each vendor uses. Maybe everyone's noses are sensitive to different things.[smilie=th_e16]

needless to say I am very interested in hearing from others. I hope Cheryl has not changed her wax. Some etailers in the past did that and I stopped ordering. I just received an order less than a week ago from Cheryl. The only complaint I had if any was the gain apple mango tango is almost too strong for my liking but it is strong from just about any etailer. I have had some of her tarts melt alittle when the weather is hot. She puts alot of oil and sometimes this makes the tarts so soft that it doesn't take much for them to smudge in their baggies. I wish Beth would try her lemon sugar. I put some on from my last order and it was fine but it is possible a different wax was used :P

Guest Anonymous

Goodgirl I haven't received my order yet but will report when I get it. I too ordered the sweet lemon sugar so will let you know.

Beth, I only have a minute to pop-in but I wanted to thank you for your feedback. Everyone gets a little gun-shy about expressing their views because we can all get a little excitable when it comes to our favorite vendors. Personally, I come here BECAUSE I want to know about everyone's experiences, likes, dislikes, preferences, etc.. It helps me make an more informed decision and also expands my horizons, so to speak. There are many scent choices and vendors I would never have had the courage or opportunity to try had I not heard about them here. I've made a few regretful purchases and I'm sorry that this is one for you. But again, thank you for expressing your honest opinion in a very thoughful manner. Have a great day!