The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Need help w/ Cheryl's scent choices

Guest Anonymous
Mom, I would be happy to send you a few from my order if you would like so you can try them. Let me know if you see any scents listed from my order that interest you.

Mommy, I really appreciate the offer but there's probably no point. I doubt I'd be placing an order so I hate for you to give up a tart just for idle curiosity on my part. Thanks though :P

Guest Anonymous

Send, Debra et al: you are so welcome! I agree that we should be able to express all views here, good and bad, without anyone getting upset about it. For me, it is the most useful part of the forum, reading about everyone's different preferences and experiences. And hopefully, our thread will demonstrate that it can be done honestly and with respect for everyone's differing experiences and opinions.

For my part, I don't regret at all having tried Cheryl's. Many here have had very good experiences with her and I'm sure will continue to do so; for whatever reason, that didn't turn out to be the case for me. I have seen lots of comments on the forum about unsatisfactory experiences from my favorite vendors, but I continue to go back to them because my dealings with them have always been good. It's just the chance we are taking purchasing something "nose unsmelled".

Thanks again, everyone! Wishing you all a nice "last official day of winter"!! :P

Beth, thank you so much for your honest review, and I apologize if I questioned your opinion. Not knowing the details at first, I assumed you were basing your opinion on not liking a tart or two. I know exactly what you mean when you talk about an unpleasant undertone to all of the tarts. I have had that experience too, although not with Cheryl's tarts(which I haven't tried). Cheryl has her loyal customers, as does the vendor whose tarts I didn't like. Thankfully, not everyone likes the same thing , so this keeps everyone in business.

Guest Anonymous

Hi Boogie:

NO apology required! I took no offense in any way.

And you are so right, everyone has different tastes and that's why everyone has their own favorites! How great for us that there are so many vendors from which to choose.

And scent, of all things, is SO very personal and subjective. Anyone who's ever been stuck on a plane next to a seat-mate wearing a perfume that was about to gag them can attest to that! :P

What a dull, dull world it would be if we all liked the same everything.

Hi Boogie:

And you are so right, everyone has different tastes and that's why everyone has their own favorites! How great for us that there are so many vendors from which to choose.

And scent, of all things, is SO very personal and subjective. Anyone who's ever been stuck on a plane next to a seat-mate wearing a perfume that was about to gag them can attest to that! ;)

So true about preferences. There are four of us living in this house and we do not agree about what smells good... it is very personal. But I do know what you are saying about an underlying scent. It has happened to me 3 times. I had to throw the tarts out, but I figured it was an experiment... on to the next.. :P

Guest Anonymous
Hi Boogie:

And scent, of all things, is SO very personal and subjective. Anyone who's ever been stuck on a plane next to a seat-mate wearing a perfume that was about to gag them can attest to that! ;)

Beth , I am big on CS so am interested in knowing how Cheryl took care of this issue. Did she offer a refund or anything? I am sure you like the rest of us do not like to throw money away so I hope you were taken care of.And I agree, scent is so very personal and subjective. I enjoy all the opinions shared here on the forum. very helpful :P

Guest Anonymous
Hi Boogie:

And scent, of all things, is SO very personal and subjective. Anyone who's ever been stuck on a plane next to a seat-mate wearing a perfume that was about to gag them can attest to that! :oops:

Beth , I am big on CS so am interested in knowing how Cheryl took care of this issue. Did she offer a refund or anything? I am sure you like the rest of us do not like to throw money away so I hope you were taken care of.And I agree, scent is so very personal and subjective. I enjoy all the opinions shared here on the forum. very helpful [smilie=th_confused3]

Well I am hoping to hear back from Beth or Eileen. I think Slpit in the bath & body forum was wondering about the outcome. Since Beth has not come back and told us how the CS was maybe Eileen will or someone else who has ordered recently?

In response to Beth (I can't quote Beth because her post was in a different 'room')........No, I really didn't think it was strange that the exact thing happened to both of us. I figure that Cheryl had probably set your and my order and probably Fluer's, too, down somewhere and then forgot about them. You know, since I have been through menopause and am now dealing with 'old age', I can certainly empathsize with poeple who forget things and do crazy things sometimes. Maybe this didn't happen, but I feel that it was something along these lines.

I did get my order from Cheryl today. It was packed and packaged beautifully. She sent about a dozen different items as freebies to compensate for her error. Keep in mind that I haven't had time to melt very many melts yet, but what I have were absolutely wonderful, great throws and long lasting. I noticed no background or 'off' smell at all. As a matter of fact, because I am so tired of throwing away duds, I think I will just stick with Cheryl for awhile. She has so many scents that I would like to try. I have to agree with GoodGirl in that she has impressed me as being a woman of high integrity and wanting to please her customers.

Amen, Eileen, Amen.

I have ordered from Cheryl for a long time now and have never known her not to want her customers satisfied. I too, love her scents and how she allows the customer to decide if they want them strong or not.

I know what you mean about the forgetfulness as we get older, but we must also bear in mind how many interruptions the vendor has in phone calls, etc. I think we have to allow for a margin of error every now and then and also be gracious in our approach to them.

Will be anxious to hear how you like your goodies Eileen and if you have any particular favorites. I am still addicted to Fruity Patchouli and Painted Lady, though some of my new ones this time are heading right up there with them.

Have a great day.

Guest Anonymous
In response to Beth (I can't quote Beth because her post was in a different 'room')........No, I really didn't think it was strange that the exact thing happened to both of us. I figure that Cheryl had probably set your and my order and probably Fluer's, too, down somewhere and then forgot about them. You know, since I have been through menopause and am now dealing with 'old age', I can certainly empathsize with poeple who forget things and do crazy things sometimes. Maybe this didn't happen, but I feel that it was something along these lines.

I did get my order from Cheryl today. It was packed and packaged beautifully. She sent about a dozen different items as freebies to compensate for her error. Keep in mind that I haven't had time to melt very many melts yet, but what I have were absolutely wonderful, great throws and long lasting. I noticed no background or 'off' smell at all. As a matter of fact, because I am so tired of throwing away duds, I think I will just stick with Cheryl for awhile. She has so many scents that I would like to try. I have to agree with GoodGirl in that she has impressed me as being a woman of high integrity and wanting to please her customers.

Thanks Eilen for the review. :roll: When I read Beth's post I felt bad in the fact she did not contact Cheryl. [smilie=th_hmph] She has her phone number on her site and wants to hear from her customers if there is a problem so she can fix!! Anyone I have known or read that ordered from Cheryl always raved about how well she takes care of her customers and will bend over backwards to make her customers happy. :shock: I know several have actually sent her tarts from other etailers asking if she could dupe it or make a stronger version and she always aims to please. I had never experienced what Beth did with her order but if I had, I would have wanted compensation and definitely would have let Cheryl know as this could easily have been fixed by a redo of her order. I never have experienced an off smell of any kind. I just feel if someone takes the time to post several times about their bad experience than they need to at least post how the etailer handles a problem as lots read about etailers and if problems arise want feedback about CS. I am wanting to try another etailer mentioned on the board but am waiting to see if everyone ends up with their order and is satisfied. I know etailers get behind and that is why communication is so important and with Cheryl, the communication is great! I am raving about her because she is a very honest and good woman that I have had the pleasure of buying from more than 6 times [smilie=cloud_9] so I am somewhat defensive of her when I see her dissed on a board without a follow up post. Again Thanks Eileen for taking time to post about the fact Cheryl does take care of her customers [smilie=th_m4t3zo4]

Guest Anonymous

I haven't gotten my order yet so can't speak to the quality but did want to give my experience so far.

I spent a couple of days going back and forth with Cheryl with questions regarding shipping and scent choices. I found her to be helpful and extremely prompt with replies. I finally emailed her my order request late March 16th. She informed me that she did have several orders in front of me but would get to my order as soon as possible. Told her that was fine. I got an email from her yesterday letting me know my order would ship today. I found that TAT to be much shorter than I expected.

Overall I have been very pleased with the transaction so far.

Cheryl has been really good answering my emails as well. I ordered on March 2nd and did not hear from her so I emailed a couple of days ago. She got right back to me. My order had been misplaced. She apologized and then worked on the order. I already got the shipping notice, so I should be receiving it soon.

Guest Anonymous

I recieved my order Sat. When I opened the box, had a fabulous smell. I have only burned the Autumn wreath, I dont like it. Has a good scent throw. Maybe its not a scent for me, but I love yc autumn wresth. burned both candle & tart in it. In smelling every thing cold, I am finding I am not liking the scent, sage & citrus smells like all soap. some others have an odd scent. some do smell nice cold, like lavender vanilla. I havent burned them, so not sure yet. I did e-mail Cheryle, but I am going to e-mail back and be more honest. I was just going on strenght of scent, which is strong, I like strong. but I need to be more honest with her about the scents, I thought it was just me. This is my first order, but she has been great with cs.

Guest Anonymous

Ok, now I am officially nervous about my big order coming. Especially since some are supposed to go in the swap box.

Roxline, I would be curious to see her response. Thanks.

Ok, now I am officially nervous about my big order coming. Especially since some are supposed to go in the swap box.

Roxline, I would be curious to see her response. Thanks.

Mommy,

I have alot of tarts available for the swap box if u need..just holler.

mommy, sorry to step in so late now, but I really like my order from Cheryl. Her CS was amazing, & she performed magic with her shipping - I still do not know how she got so much in a flat rate box without it all breaking!

I have a bag of her "Bliss" which I dip into almost everyday for my BIG LOTS crockpot - the perfect thing for it. The teeny pieces I use have an amazing throw. The only scents that were "off" in my opinion, were the pine-ish ones...and those can be icky a lot of the time.

The regular tarts I chose are the spa/clean types. I have been happy with all so far! [smilie=th_12E9EC16] HTH - a little?

Guest Anonymous

Deb, I just looked at your likes and dislikes and I definitely have some on the way from her that you will like. Hopefully my LOL order will be here by then also.

mommy, sorry to step in so late now, but I really like my order from Cheryl. Her CS was amazing, & she performed magic with her shipping - I still do not know how she got so much in a flat rate box without it all breaking!

I have a bag of her "Bliss" which I dip into almost everyday for my BIG LOTS crockpot - the perfect thing for it. The teeny pieces I use have an amazing throw. The only scents that were "off" in my opinion, were the pine-ish ones...and those can be icky a lot of the time.

The regular tarts I chose are the spa/clean types. I have been happy with all so far! [smilie=th_thumbs20up] HTH - a little?

I just got my order from Cheryl's yesterday, and am very happy with it. I bought a strawberry sundae candle that looks and smells good enough to eat!! DD thought it was real at first. Great CS too.

Guest Anonymous

I am going to re-respond here on cheryls. I went thru my stuff really well yesterday and started really burning. The Tarts are great. Just a couple that I dont like, which is normal as I never ordered before. The candles I think are because I am used to paraffin wax, and again I never ordered before so I either may not like the scents or the all soy in the candles. I am really thinking it is the all soyl.Her tarts are a mix. As far as her CS I am stll very impressed. I explained this to her and she e-mailed me back a couple of times. She even first mentioned with the candles probably being all soy. She would even make my orders from now on in paraffin if I prefer. I wouldnt hesitate to reorder with her. I may try the candles again in paraffin. The tarts no, good as is. Just need to get used to her scents.

Guest Anonymous

Wow, my order is already here. I just sat down and went through each bag of tarts trying to sniff with an open mind. Here is my initial impression.

I do detect what Beth is detecting- an underlying smell underneath each scent. However on most of my tarts this scent is barely noticable and does not detract from the fragrance. And my nose is not picking it up as a soapy/perfumey scent. I am actually not sure how to describe it (almost an effervescent quality to it) but in most it is not unpleasant.

Packaging was good. Yes the tarts are soft so the bags are a little smuded and messy. But anyone who has bought from CHC has probably experienced this with her tarts also. At least I have. No biggie. Tarts are decent size, labeled well, and colors are nice and bright.

Here is my order

Blackberry Sage- this is one of my favorites cold and I do not really detect an undertone in this one.

Lemon Sweet Sugar- this has a nice cold lemon (not pledgy smell) with a little bit of a bakery hint to it.

Lime sugar- smells like lemon/lime soda to me to some degree. Or a lime popsicle. Milder then I expected on cold smell but may perk up once melted.

Kiwi Lime- recommended by Cheryl and I am glad. Fresh, lime, good.

Painted Lady- another rec by Cheryl and no description so this was a chance. This one has a strong effervescent scent and I don't know if it is the undertone or a note in the actual scent. Reminds me a little of paradise but less citrus and a litle more fruity. I just threw one in the melter so will see how it does. ETA: THis tart has fully melted and is throwing quite well. The scent is really nice with a very effervescent scent to it. You can smell the bubbles. It does remind me of Paradise (which is a good thing).

Grammy's Strawberry Jam- Strong strawberry, no undertone, yum.

Citrus and Teakwood- mild, clean, fresh. I think I will like this one when melted

7 up pound cake- almond, butter, cake- What's not to like? - again no undertone

Lovespell- no undertone, not sure this is the best Lovespell I have smelled but will reserve judgement until melted- smells good though

Bird of paradise- Don't like this one but to be fair this is my favorite Circle E scent and I have been trying to find a good match in tarts. My search is still on because this is not it.

Ginger Peach- nice smell but mild- hoping it is much stronger when melting

Rasberry sorbet- strong rasberry, do pick up a little undertone in this- not sure about this one

Plum Crazee- strong!- ok call me "crazee" but this doesn't smell like plum to me. It smells like B&BW Sun- ripened Rasberry. Unfortunately I alwasy hated that scent. LOL. But that is personal scent preference and if that is your thing then this is one strong tart!

Fizzy Pop- bubbly- fresh- no undertone and very strong

Black Ginger and Bamboo- hard to describe. My first initial impression was ICK! but I just resniffed it to type this and I kind of like it now. This one is also strong, different, and growing on me.

Apricot Vanilla- This and Plum Crazee are my least favs. I don't get Apricot or Vanilla from this but rather an odd smell. I will melt it because that is the only way to get a true impression but so far not impressed with this one at all.

Freebies:

popcorn- dead on smell- not sure I would buy this but we have movie nights every other Saturday so this will be fun.

Peach Blossom- another one (like Apircot Vanilla) that smells nothing like its name and just has an odd smell overall

Vanilla Anise- strong, not sure about this one. I love licorace (WNS Sambuca is a fav) but this one has more of a peppermint tone to it than anise to me. No vanilla at all. Another one that I will reserve judgement until melting.

Sorry this got so long but since we have had mixed feedback I wanted to give a full first impression of my first order. Overall I am pleased so far and will see how they melt. There are a few scents that smell odd to me but not enough to where I would consider it a vendor issue versus a personal preference issue.

I will of course report back in a few days as I melt some and see how the throw and longevity measure up.

Thanks for that detailed review, Mommy. Cheryl's is on my to-order list when I have started buying more tarts again. I'd be interested in knowing what you think as you melt them, too. :P

Guest Anonymous

http://www.cherylscandlesandgifts.com/Index2.html

I forgot to come back to this thread. I have tried at least one of most of the ones listed above and found them to be much better melting than cold sniff. Ended up really loving most of them with the exception of Plum Crazee and Vanilla Apricot. Will definitely reorder from Cheryl again.

Guest Anonymous

I am one that can't trust cold smells from any etailer's tarts. I have to melt them. I do love Cheryl's stuff. Can't say enough good about her customer service, pricing and wax products [smilie=th_sign0162]