The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

mixing coconut oil with fragrance oil

Guest Anonymous

I just bought my first fragrance oil and remember reading about mixing it with coconut oil, but can't find any info on proportions. I would appreciate advice from anyone that has done it. Also, is there any reason I couldn't use my Jackle electric tart warmer for the oil?

Hi Me too-

The proportion is really up to you. I usually use about an 8th of a teaspoon or less,depending on the size of my melter. Those jars last forever too.

I wouldn't see any problems with melting in your Jackal, I have never had any.

Have fun experimenting on what works well in your house.

Guest Anonymous

Thank you Cat. I warmed the oils today and was very happy to get a nice, strong fragrance for 8 hours.

Do you have to mix the fragrance oil with coconut oil? Can I just pour some in my 24W combo melter and let it go?

Cat probably has a better answer for you if you are using a 24 watt combo. I never use coconut oil in the combo melters, but when I add it to oils bigred, I just put a little in (about the size of a dime) without any mixing at all. The heat takes care of the mixing. :lol:

Do you have to mix the fragrance oil with coconut oil? Can I just pour some in my 24W combo melter and let it go?

Hi Bigred-

The oil is very concentrated and only needs just a few drops to get a big throw. I would not just put that in the 24 watt combo without putting in the coconut oil or some other unscented oil.

Those bowls are pretty big and would burn it up very quickly. If you want to use a straight fragrance oil,get a small shallow oil warmer(usually glass). I use the coconut oil to prolong the scent and extend the life of my FO.

I hope that makes scents.

The tarts we use are basically FO mixed with wax as a buffering agent-that helps disperse the scent without losing the oil through evaporation or heat. Using the coconut oil does the same thing for straight FO.

Thank you Cat. I warmed the oils today and was very happy to get a nice, strong fragrance for 8 hours.

Did you use your Jackal? Glad you found a great way to use your FO!

So if you were going to use FO in a 24W combo melter, how exactly would you do that?

Let's see if I'm right - I would add some coconut oil and then some FO to the combo melter dish - how much of each? Where does one get this coconut oil?

I've been thinking about experimenting a bit with fragrance oils, since I assume they would give very strong throws. I also don't want to make a mistake either and choke to death on something that's just way too strong either.

BigRed

I would NOT use the 24 watt melter. It is very hot and it is very big and really you would just be wasting product. If you have a tealight burner with a smaller bowl use that. I also have always used 1/8 teaspoon of the coconut oil. Then add FO to your liking. I use 1/2 t to start with. The coconut oil does 2 things. It is often used as an additive to tarts to improve the throw and it does this with the oils as well. it also prevents evaporation of the oil. If you use water as a mixer or plain oil by itself it will evaporate and leave the oil burned on much like it does on bakeware etc. and you will have an icky, boran, burned on mess. The coconut oil prevents this. If you would like to get reasonable oils that are decent quality for your experimenting (I get all mine here and I think you would like the Plumeria and Fress Cut Roses) www.thecandlesource.com Get the 1 oz bottles as they hold a lot....you will be surprised.

We are talking about the coconut oil that is solid at room temperature, correct? (there is another kind of coconut oil... fractionated that is liquid). I have some fragrance oils that I would like to use this way. I think I can get coconut oil (solid) at the grocery store, right???

Thanks for helping slpit.

Fleur- you can get the coconut oil at the grocery store or a walmart supercenter. Its in the shortening/cooking oil section. Looks very much like a taller/skinnier shortening container.

I store mine in the fridge to prevent it from turning rancid and have always had fabulous results.

I would not put it in a combo melter either, I have a few warmers that I use only for oils. You could use your pretty tealight melter Big red-that would be about the perfect size. You don't want to run yourself out of the house by choking on oil fumes.LOL!

Guest Anonymous

Cat, I warmed my fragrance in the Jackal warmer but I think I do need a glass bowl just for oils. I used cucumber melon from BBW with their suggested amount of 20 drops and your suggestion of 1/8 t of cocount oil. I did a lot of cleaning on the bowl and still have a faint whiff of the oil. Also, I wondered if the coconut oil would go rancid so was glad to know you store yours in the refrigerator. Thanks again for the help!

Cat, I warmed my fragrance in the Jackal warmer but I think I do need a glass bowl just for oils. I used cucumber melon from BBW with their suggested amount of 20 drops and your suggestion of 1/8 t of cocount oil. I did a lot of cleaning on the bowl and still have a faint whiff of the oil. Also, I wondered if the coconut oil would go rancid so was glad to know you store yours in the refrigerator. Thanks again for the help!

If you take some baking soda and mix with a little water-just enough to make a paste- It makes a nice scrub that will scour out your warmer. That should get rid of the odor that's left.

The glass dishes do not absorb the scent like the ceramic does. Porus nature of clay and all. Glad you are having fun experimenting. Happy I could help.

Hi everyone! I was wondering if I am able to use the YC tart warmers,which are 14 watt melters,for oils.I have a oil warmer(electric )from OV,but it does not seem to omit much scent from the oil.Just wondering,because I ordered a bunch of oils with the warmer and they are just sitting ther waiting to be used! [smilie=th_angry7]

As long as the bowl is small and more shallow-you should be okay. The main thing with oils is to make sure you aren't letting it cook into goo. That stuff is hard to get out of there and smells awful.

Thanks for letting me know Cat,I certainly don't want bad smelling goo!I will try the oils in my YC melter and keep a close eye on it.

Guest Anonymous

Slylar, the Jackal I used is 14 wts and it worked perfectly. No burning smell and no goo, but I am going to get a glass bowl instead of using the ceramic one.