The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Sign in to follow this  
Candlefind Placeholder

Spotted Hog scent recommendations

After like three years of wanting to order a candle from The Spotted Hog, but not actually doing it, I am finally taking the plunge and buying a big candle before I get to sniff it cold first. I want a great bakery scent for my first SH purchase, since that is what they specialize in. I will be getting the large 28 oz. jar. Any suggestions on a deliciously strong scent for my first candle from SH? Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Guest scentedstamper

Good Morning! Well, Jason, I guess I'll go first! I am not really a SH fan, but I blame myself. I think I just picked scents that I just didn't care for because of about 5 different tarts, they all went in the trash. I DID however get a candle. (I think 16 oz in the plain jar w/ silver lid) That was in Cinnamon Bun and I actually liked that. It burned well with the 2 wicks, so I can recommend that one! I know I've seen that Bigred has liked some of their florals.

C'mon peeps, a little enabling please ??!!! Jason *needs* a new candle!!!

Sheryl

I'm afraid to make a scent suggestion. Jason, you know what you like. If it were only a melt scent I would have said something like:

You've got to get the Orange Chiffon Cake (which Bigred hated) or the Divinity Fudge. Or I might even have suggested the Berry Lemon Bunt Cake or Blackberry Jam Butter Cookies.

That's what I would have said for melts...for a whole candle, I'd feel bad if you got one and didn't personally like the scent, so I'm keeping my mouth shut. :oops:

You're on your own, Jason, but do tell us what you finally decide.

As you all know I am not a bakery scent fan but I have really enjoyed more than a few of SH's scents. Here's what I really loved:

Paradise

Freesia

Rose Merry Mint

Berry Tangerine

Cranberry Peach Cider

Hawaiian Breeze

Apple Blossom

Honeydew & Summer Berries

Peach Grove & Citrus Blossom

Apples & Maple Bourbon

Peach & Sweet Berries

Now I know none of these scents are bakery, but they are all awesome and strong, especially the Paradise and Rose Merry Mint. I wasn't overly impressed by almost all the bakery scents I got in the winning sampler but these were nice:

Bananas Foster

Blueberry Java Crumble - strong

Frosted Orange Cupcake

Spider Cider N' Deadly Donuts - strong

Mrs. Claus Candy Cane Cookies - the only one I personally would reorder - smelled like candy canes and YC's Christmas Cookie which is a scent I actually do really like.

Hope that helps Jason.

Thank you to those that threw out some scents for me to think about. Last night, after I posted this, I narrowed it down to four scents. Oh, I also decided to buy two candles, so now all I have to do is narrow it down to the final two. Here's the four scents in the running: Blackberry Butter Jam Cookies, Blueberry Flapjacks, Cinnamon Banana Fritters, Mixed Berry Crumble. Anyone tried any of these? I'm going to place my order in a couple hours, so I guess I need to try to narrow it down.

Thank you to those that threw out some scents for me to think about. Last night, after I posted this, I narrowed it down to four scents. Oh, I also decided to buy two candles, so now all I have to do is narrow it down to the final two. Here's the four scents in the running: Blackberry Butter Jam Cookies, Blueberry Flapjacks, Cinnamon Banana Fritters, Mixed Berry Crumble. Anyone tried any of these? I'm going to place my order in a couple hours, so I guess I need to try to narrow it down.

Sounds like you have everything under control. You could also just email Tarrah - she would be more than happy to suggest scents to you.

SH is one of my "go to" vendors, as I LOVE their fruit scents. They are so true and strong - way better than YC's fruit scents.

OOooo good for you, Jason!

I am going to order from them soon as well. I think I am going to try the Mrs. Claus Candy Cane cookies. I figured I am such a candy cane/bakery fan, I can't go wrong with this one!

Let us know what you decide!

Good luck! ( :

Good Luck Jason!

I have 2 SH candles that I have yet to burn. They are Banana Nut Bread and Red Velvet Cake. The cold smell on these is good.

It's SOOOO hard to narrow it down to the final two!

ETA: I finally decided on Blackberry Jam Butter Cookie and Mixed Berry Crumble! What'd ya get, Berriechan?

YAY! ^.^

I ordered Morning Blueberry Muffin, Mrs. Claus Candy Cane Cookies, Fizzy Pop, Frosted Pumpkin Donuts.

I can't wait!!!

Let me know how yours turn out, I was also contemplating on the two you chose! ( :

Good scent choices Jason-and congrats on finally taking the plunge after a year and a half!

I also love the cinnamon banana fritters-so that would definitely be in the running. I am a big ole Paradise fan too and may get a candle of that for the summer!

I keep hearing about Paradise and would LOVE to try it, but unfortunately melting the tarts makes me cough (although I can use up what I have), so I'd have to put together an order of candles only that would be worth the shipping. Maybe someday they'll have a shipping sale, although I remember SH not having sales too often.

P.S. Jason, I am looking forward to hearing what you think of SH's candles, since I too burn almost exclusively YC and am looking to expand.

[smilie=th_jaja] (this guy's just for fun)