Let’s face it…cliche’ or not, you can’t go wrong with candle gifts. They can be fun, elegant, relaxing, cheap, or expensive. It’s really all a matter of what you’re looking for! We’ve dusted off our shelves, dug through our archives, and scoured the web to bring you our top candle recommendations for just about any occasion. Our Ultimate Candle Gift Guide features some of the best scented candles on the market, both mass produced and indie made. We are also including a free downloadable guide that you can take with you as you do your shopping on the go. Let us be your guide!
If you want to head right to the freebie, click here.
Table of Contents:
- Paraffin Candles
- 100% Soy Candles
- Soy Blend Candles
- Coconut Wax Candles
- Wood Wick Candles
- Aromatherapy Candles
- Massage Candles
- Beautiful Candles
- Manly Candles
- Massive Candles
- Candles Under $25
- Travel Tin Candles
- Unique Candles
- Luxury Candles
- Indie Luxury Candles
- Candle Gift Sets
- Reed Diffusers
- Cool Candle Accessories
- Best Candles At Walmart
- Best Candles At Target
- Best Candles On Amazon
While paraffin candles sometimes get a bad rap, we follow the science and love them for what they are. No candle gift guide would be complete without them! There are some really great paraffin candles that would make great gifts just about any time of the year.
- Yankee Candle – Of course Yankee Candle would make the cut for some of the best paraffin candles. While the scent strength has gone down over the years, there are still a few favorites, like Fresh Cut Roses and Lemon Lavender. The variety alone makes this store a sure bet you’ll find a gift or two no matter who you’re searching for. Be sure to check out our picks for those Yankee Candle large jars that are the best.
- Kringle Candle – The son of the founder of Yankee Candle started Kringle Candle Company, and there are definitely similarities to be found. To our noses, some of the scents are a bit more subtle and complex, like Rosemary Lemon and Aqua.
- Goose Creek – The scents at Goose Creek are always changing and they frequently have super awesome sales. Some of the constant staples we love include Blueberry Cheesecake and Maple Butter.
- Sihaya & Company – For unique scent fragrances, the candles at Sihaya & Company just can’t be beat. While the scent list changes throughout the seasons, there are some semi-staples such as Morning Ritual and Hidden Oasis.
- Tocca – For a bit more luxurious paraffin candle option, consider Tocca. The vessels are elegant and the scents are as beautiful as their perfumes. Stella is one of our favorites.
100% Soy Candles
Soy candles offer a clean burn and are often long-lasting. Some people prefer all soy, so be sure to check out the ingredients before you buy. Some “soy candles” are really soy blend candles – make sure the label says 100% soy if that’s what is really important to your gift recipient. If you are having these shipped, be mindful of the warmer summer months. Soy is a softer wax than pure paraffin and can melt easier if left in the summer heat. Our candle gift guide points out some of the best options on the market!
- 865 Candle Co. – Based in Knoxville, TN, this soy candle company produces their candles and wax melts in small batches, lending a personal touch to each and every product. Some of our favorites are Tennessee Breeze and Northern Lights.
- Charlotte Candle Company – This family-owned business, founded in 2017, features clean-burning soy candles in a variety of candle vessels. Our candle picks: Black Coconut and White Tea.
- Frostbeard Studio – As some of the best candles for book lovers, Frostbeard Studio tops our list for giftable 100% soy candles. They are clean burning and last a super long time.
- Peacesake – The beautiful burning candles from Peacesake are 100% soy with a focus on sustainability. They have a select few scents, but that should make your shopping so much easier.
- PF Candle Co. – The 100% soy candles from this affordable luxury brand are some of the best. The unique scent blends (Vanilla & Ghost Pepper, anyone?) and the variety of vessels are enough to keep anyone coming back for more.
Soy Blend Candles
Some candles that are branded as soy candles are really soy blend candles. They are still great candles – just be an informed shopper! Soy blends well with a number of other waxes, including paraffin and coconut wax. Here is the list of our favorite soy blend candles on the market these days.
- Capri Blue Candles – These candles are beautiful to look at and to burn. The variety available will insure you’re able to find something for just about everyone, though our favorite is Volcano in any fashion or form. These candles are mostly soy with a bit of paraffin blended in. They last a super long time and have a really clean burn with excellent throws.
- Ellis Brooklyn – For your literary friends, treat them to an Ellis Brooklyn candle this season. These soy blend candles have unique fragrances and incredibly slow burns for long-lasting enjoyment.
- HHI Candles – The soy blend candles found at HHI Candles are a little on the pricey side, but well worth the splurge. The candles come gift boxed and the wood lids are an upgraded touch. They only have a handful of scents, but they are all worth sniffing.
- LAFCO – Our love for luxury candles started way back with LAFCO, and it’s a love that is still going strong. The scents are stronger than you find with many luxury brands, and the burns are super clean. The vessels are keepsakes and worth gifting alone.
- Country Rich Creations – For simple, no-fuss parasoy candles, head to Country Rich Creations. The classic mason jar candles make great gifts and the scent choices are fantastic. They carry wax melts in the same scents, too.
Coconut Wax Candles
Coconut blend wax candles are great options for clean burning candles that can have excellent scent throws. These candles also tend to have long, slow burns, so you’re able to enjoy your candle for hours on end. Our candle gift guide lists some of the best coconut candles below:
- Ardor Bin – These coconut, wood-wick candles are hearty with incredibly beautiful burns. We love the unique fragrance choices and scents that don’t overwhelm the senses.
- Collectively Joy – We recently reviewed the amazing Collectively Joy candles, and they rank amongst our favorite of the coconut blended candles. They provide clean burns and the scent throws are fantastic.
- Book Scents – If your giftee is a book fanatic (or even if they aren’t), check out the candles from Book Scents to put under their tree. The scent blends are unbelievable and the candles have super clean burns.
- Keap Candles – The coconut candles from Keap are simply amazing. The simple, clean design would look good on anyone’s mantel. We love the candles because they are such slow burners and the fragrances are out of this world good.
- Voluspa – The luxurious candles from Voluspa are made with coconut wax and they are fabulous. The candle vessels are works of art and are sure to put a smile on your loved one’s face.
Wood Wick Candles
If you like a little crackle-pop with your burning candle, choose a wood wick candle to burn. There are a number of them on the market, but we have chosen some of the best ones you can buy.
- Gold Hill Candle Co – These candles are amazing…in more ways than one! They are one of the few companies that has multi-wick wooden wick candles and does it well. They even have a 5-wick, 55oz candle! The soft crackle from the wood wicks make these extra special indeed.
- Odin’s Daughter – The candles from Odin’s Daughter are super fine and mysterious. They have a limited number of scents available, but they are all fabulous in our book.
- Serpent & Flame – Try to get your hands on a Serpent & Flame candle during restock time because they are some wonderful wood wick candles. They are beautiful to look at and the scent blends are incredible.
- Element – The Element wood wick candles can be purchased through the Othos website, and they are not to be missed. The sleek black vessels are stunning and the scents? To die for!
- Winecraft Candles – For your wine-loving friends, choose Winecraft Candles for wood wick candles in recycled wine bottle vessels. The scents are all wine-related (Merlot, Moscato, etc.) and they are really very good. They also carry some travel tins with a few more scent selections available.
For candles that can relax and focus on a particular mood, consider aromatherapy candles this season. These candles often use essential oils as a part of their fragrance profiles, and the scent throws tend to be more on the subtle side. We’ve rounded up some of our favorites in this category:
- MadgeMade – These candles are as beautiful to look at as they are to burn. With organic soy wax and essential oils, the scents themselves are divine. Super slower burners that are adorned with scent-appropriate botanicals, the candles are simply stunning and make amazing gifts. Our candle picks: Cypress & Pine and Cherryblossom.
- Aroma Naturals – Though you won’t find a huge selection here, the candles are truly well made and are perfect for aromatherapy. The scents are pleasing without being overwhelming and the candles last a really long time.
- NEOM Organics – We can’t get enough of the aromatherapy candles from NEOM Organics. They make excellent gifts and last a really long time. The 3-wicks are our go-to candles.
- L’or de Seraphine – These aromatherapy candles are super fine. The fragrances do not overwhelm, but they are strong enough to make a known presence. The clean burn and fun vessels make these one of the best choices for aromatherapy candles.
- Klayre Essence – The all natural candles from Klayre Essence make for great gifts year-round. They have a limited selection of scents but they are true and the candles have a clean burn.
Some candles use waxes that have a lower melting point and these are perfect as massage candles. They can make for super soft skin and a romantic evening – great for sexy candle gifting!
- Element Tree Essentials – These candles are simple and clean-burning, with subtle fragrances that are perfect as massage candles.
- Get Maude – You’ll find several adult products at Get Maude, but the candles are what draw us in. They only have small candles (2 or 4 ounces), but they are perfect as massage candles, leaving the skin oh-so-soft!
- Savannah Bee Company – We fell in love with the lotion candles from Savannah Bee long ago. If you can still get your hands on one, be sure to stock up!
- The Isle Co – These candles are slow burners and make a wonderful lotion for massaging into the skin. They have a really nice variety, so plenty to choose from!
- Spinster Sisters Co – You’ll find plenty of bath/body options at Spinster Sisters, and a handful of soy lotion candles. They are all fabulous, so dive in and start adding to cart.
We think all candles in our candle gift guide are beautiful, but there are some that get extra special eye candy points. These candles make great gifts, especially for those you might be trying to impress.
- Rigaud – The colors are vibrant and the little ribbons around the jars are such a nice added touch. These candles are not only pretty to look at, but they are wonderful to burn.
- Laguna Candles – The Heirloom Artisan candles are simply amazing works of art. The handblown glass vessels will make your giftee ooh and ahh with glee.
- Seda France – The pagoda candles from here make us smile every time. The gift boxes are miniature pagodas complete with tassels. The candle fragrances are unique and complex. With such a slow burn, the price tag makes them worth it.
- Agraria – The cut crystal glasses that these candles are housed in are simply stunning, especially when lit. The scents are more subtle but complex and absolutely beautiful.
- Simpatico – The Simpatico brand of candles are housed in the most amazing hobnail glass vessels. They are stunning and look amazing when repurposed after all the wax is gone. The candle scents are delicious, too.
Our candle gift guide is not just for the ladies in your life. If you’re looking for “guy-friendly” candles, there are some companies that we think really cater to these types of fragrances.
- Guy Fox – The candles from Guy Fox are super clean burning and they carry some amazing fragrances. The scents are complex and carry well. We love the sleek vessels and clean burns.
- Malin+Goetz – There are a select few candles from this brand, and most would be considered more “masculine” in nature. The vessels are unassuming and the fragrances are wonderful.
- SIR Candle – The SIR Candles are unabashedly masculine, with clever names and clean burns. They only have a handful of scents, but you can’t go wrong with any one of them.
- Boy Smells – Partners in life and business, the owners of Boy Smells have created a wonderful selection of genderless candles. Still, there are some fragrances that may be considered traditionally more masculine, and they are fabulous.
- Ethos Fragrance – There are only a couple of fragrances available here, but they are strong and long-lasting. As an added bonus, they are lotion candles, so you get the bonus of a scented massage!
Looking to super impress? Get someone a massive candle – candles of 40+ ounces of wax. We’ve rounded up some of the best!
- Baobab Candles – If you are looking for large candles, shop Baobab. They have some uber large candles that are amazing to burn. The vessels are soooo pretty, too!
- Le Labo – Le Labo makes a huge concrete candle (42.3 ounces) that will set you back a pretty penny, but it’s definitely worth it.
- NEST Fragrances – The luxury collection at NEST Fragrances are their larger sized candles, weighing in at over 75 ounces of wax. These are amazing candles and should last you a long time.
- Capri Blue – We’ve already touted these candles above, but they also have a super large version of some of their fragrances that is worth a buy.
- Voluspa – Another repeat contender! Their 5-wick candles contain over 100 ounces of wax, plus the vessel will be stunning to repurpose.
Candles Under $25
If you’re shopping on a tight budget, you can still get some great candles under 25 bucks. Below are some of our favorites:
- ScentSationals wax melts – No, not candles, but these wax melts are certainly worthy of a mention on this list. They are super affordable (generally $2 if you find the scent you want at a local Walmart) and there is a huge variety from which to choose.
- DW Home – The candles from DW Home are absolutely fabulous – you’d never believe they were a bargain brand! You can choose from a wide variety of scents and looks.
- Aldi Candles – The candles at Aldi rival Bath & Body Works for a fraction of the price. Stop by an Aldi store to get the most recent selections.
- Chesapeake Bay Candles – The candles from Chesapeake Bay are super affordable and incredibly good. The fragrances are a bit more subtle, but complex and authentic.
- Craft & Kin – These candles look more expensive than they are, which is one of the reasons we love them so. The scent profiles are unique and the burns are nice and clean.
Travel Tin Candles
Do you have a friend that is always on the go? Gift them a travel tin candle so they can travel with good scents (haha). Not all travel tin candles are created equal…here are some of our favorites:
- Joshua Tree – The 4oz travel tin candles from Joshua Tree are perfect for sampling their scents or gathering up candles on the go. The soy blended wax has a slow burn and they have a decent variety of fragrances from which to choose.
- Collectively Joy – The coconut blend wax candles from Collectively Joy are among some of our favorite luxury candles. Luckily they carry their fragrances in 3.5oz travel tin candles so we don’t ever have to be without.
- Gavin Luxe – If you think travel candles can’t pump out a lot of scent, try Gavin Luxe on for size. The 4oz candles provide a great scent throw with unique, complex fragrances.
- Archipelago – For a little larger tins, the Archipelago candles are a sure bet. They are almost 6 ounces but still quite compact and easy to carry. There are several options from which to choose and they are pretty affordable, too.
- Aryn Terry – A great 100% soy wax option is the set of travel tin candles from Aryn Terry. Cleverly referred to as Air In candles, they are incredibly rich and complex with great scent throws. The travel tin candles here are 4 ounces.
Candles can also be works of art, so you can find plenty of unusual shapes, sizes, and looks. Chandlers get very creative so why not gift one of their unique creations?
- Pyropet – The little wax kitty looks so cute until the wax melts and reveals his skeleton. Eeek! There are a few other Pyropets since the inception, but we’re still partial to the black Kisa Cat.
- Candlelit Desserts – These candles look like real food and they smell great, too! Not only can you get pies, cookies, and cupcakes, but you can also score a cup of hot cocoa or a bowl of cereal. Just don’t be tempted to eat them!
- Neos Candle Studio – We love the unique candles here, such as candle busts or wax torsos. They are lightly scented and you can get them in a variety of colors.
- The Blackened Teeth – There are several creepy candles at The Blackened Teeth, but our favorite has to be the Baby Doll head. As creepy as they are, they are also scented, so you get a double bonus. This company is located in the UK, but no worry…they do ship to the US.
- Gravedigger Candles – Gift the medical person in your circle with these beeswax spine candles. The detail is amazing! They are cast from real human vertebra, so it’s no surprise about how authentic they look.
No candle gift guide would be complete without listing a few high brow candles, if you will. Since these candles can be pricey, it’s hard to try them out to know which ones are best. We’ve done the digging and burning for you, and we think these gems are the cream of the crop. If you’re wanting to save a buck or two, be sure to check out our tips on how to save on luxury candles.
- Diptyque – Yes, this brand makes about every candle gift guide, but there is a solid reason why. The candles are high quality and the fragrances are so sophisticated and complex.
- Cire Trudon – We are stuck on love with these candles. They pack such a powerful punch and last a long time, it totally makes the purchase worth it. We wouldn’t recommend gifting these candles to scent-sensitive friends.
- Fornasetti – For uber luxury, gift a Fornasetti candle. The candle vessels are works of art and meant to be repurposed long after the candle wax is gone.
- Trapp Fragrances – Some of the most affordable luxury candles can be found at Trapp Fragrances. The scents are divine, with plenty of options from which to choose. The candles have a slow burn and excellent scent throw, and they come beautifully boxed – ready for gift-giving!
- Heretic – In addition to Gweneth Paltrow’s Vagina & Orgasm candles, Heretic makes some incredibly unique and complex fragrances, all with slow, clean burns. The candles are made with 100% soy wax and housed in sleek, smooth vessels that make gift-giving easy.
Indie Luxury Candles
If you’d rather shop small while gifting a luxury candle, there are plenty of options from which to choose. While still on the pricey side, these candles often won’t break the bank.
- Evoke Candle Co – One of our favorite luxury brand of candles is Evoke, the candles made with musical memories in mind. The candle vessels vary by scent or collection with labels that are truly works of art.
- Seventh Avenue Apothecary – For a wide variety of scent options, Seventh Avenue is a great place to shop. The 100% soy wax candles burn cleanly and provide hours of scent enjoyment.
- Bijou Candles – Shopping Bijou Candles is a noteworthy experience with a pot of gold at the shopping cart end. The vegan soy wax candles are amazing and last a super long time. The scent descriptions on the website are quite detailed, which helps when shopping for candles online.
- The Burlap Bag – We love the scent offerings from The Burlap Bag, with tongue-in-cheek labels and beautiful amber jars. They also sell coordinating wax melts if you’d rather go flameless.
- The Rankin Home – For a coconut wax option, the lovely wood wick candles from The Rankin Home are top-notch. There are only a select few scents available, but they are really good. The vessels are beautiful and look wonderful repurposed.
Candle Gift Sets
Candle gift sets make excellent gifts because the giftee is not locked in to a single fragrance. This is also a great way for them to be able to sample fragrances to know what they might want to purchase for themselves down the road. These gift sets make our candle gift guide because they really are some of the best.
- Diptyque Candle Gift Set – What’s better than a Diptyque candle? Several Diptyque candles! The luxury brand makes gift giving easy with their beautifully packaged gift sets.
- Tom Dixon Elements Candles Gift Set – Enjoy water, earth, fire, and air with the Tom Dixon Elements Gift set. These votive candles are so adorable and it’s fun to mix and match them while burning.
- North Avenue – North Avenue groups their travel tin candles into themed boxed sets and includes extras to make them extra special. For example, their Jane Austen collection comes with a tea sampler, strainer, and custom bookmark. This is a great choice for book lovers.
- Bright Black Candles – To sample the lovely Bright Black Candles, choose one of their tin candle sampler sets. If you know your giftee is already a fan, you can also purchase the full sized candles in gift sets, too.
- Aroma Harvest Candle & Air Plant Gift Box – Why not gift a candle and a houseplant? Not only does this clever gift set some with an amazing Aroma Harvest soy wax candle, but it also includes an air plant and set of matches.
Reed diffusers are elegant and make a luxurious statement, making them great home fragrance gift options. Even though this is a candle gift guide, we decided we needed to include these gems in our ‘best of’ recommendations.
- Jo Malone – The iconic fragrances from Jo Malone are also available in elegant reed diffusers that are sure to please your giftee. The scents are pretty potent and these diffusers tend to last for several months.
- Urban Apothecary – For a sleek black look, the reed diffusers from Urban Apothecary are a great option. You’ll find some unique, full-bodied fragrances that are great for small to medium-sized spaces.
- Chesapeake Bay – For a super affordable option, shop the Chesapeake Bay selection of reed diffusers. The bottles are a little more colorful, allowing for keen color coordination with the giftee’s home decor.
- NEST – These reed diffusers get a nod for their style – the frosted glass stripes with the dark black reeds…Swoon! The fragrances are top-notch, with long-lasting scents that are noticeable without being overpowering.
- Cocod’or – Great reed diffusers do not have to break the bank. We love the elegant simplicity of the Cocod’or reed diffusers and the beautiful scents.
Cool Candle Accessories
The best way to enjoy candles is to make sure you have the right candle accessories. If your giftee already has too many candles on hand (is there such a thing?), maybe choose one of these cool candle accessories to make them oooh and ahhhh.
- Wickman Candle Tool Set – The best wick trimmers come from Wickman, and we also love the snuffer and wick dipper that come in this set. The items are high quality and will last a long time.
- Jonathan Adler Match Strike – Don’t just strike a match. Strike a match in style. These adorable match strikes are definite conversation pieces, and they’re functional, too!
- ALEC (Automatic Lid Extinguishes Candle) – Gift something practical while promoting candle safety. This candle holder has a self-closing lid. Set the timer for up to 3 hours and let the holder snuff out the flame! We’ve linked to this product at Overstock, but it can be found in a number of stores.
- USB Rechargeable Lighter – For those who don’t want to go through a ton of matches or traditional candle lighters, try out this sleek USB rechargeable lighter on for size. No more butane worries!
- River Drive Designs candle toppers – Candle toppers help candles burn more evenly and keep the flame in check. While Yankee Candle has some really cute ones, River Drive Designs can make this simple accessory be something uber special. You can get just about any type of design on these custom-created candle toppers – the choices are practically endless!
Best Candles At Walmart
Walmart is our go-to for buying candles and wax melts. It’s a sure bet if you want to pick up a candle gift or two. While there are tons of options, we list some of the best candles at Walmart below.
- Better Homes & Gardens – The BH&G candles at Wal-Mart are a pretty solid selection in a wide array of scent options. These candles do not always burn evenly, so we do suggest a candle topper for single wicks or to place them on candle warmers.
- ScentSationals – For some superb wax melts, ScentSationals are hard to beat. They are affordable and full of scent. There’s a huge variety to choose from, too!
- WoodWick – Walmart now carries a good selection of WoodWick candles and these always make great gifts. The soft crackling wicks give a bit of extra ambiance that is often appreciated.
- Mainstays – Don’t sleep on the Mainstays brand of candles and wax melts at Walmart. You won’t run out of scent choices and the quality is pretty good. These make very good, inexpensive gifts when needing something for an office party!
- Acadian Candle Company – Though there is a smaller scent selection here, the candles from Acadian are different and fun. They carry mixology scents and various “man-candles” for starters.
Best Candles At Target
Don’t sleep on candles you can buy at Target – they have some wonderful, affordable selections. While you won’t find as many choices as you do at Walmart, we find the candles a bit of an upgrade in comparison. Here are the best candles we’ve found at Target:
- Opalhouse™ designed with Jungalow™ – The Opalhouse collection of candles are really top notch. They burn evenly and put out a good amount of scent for their size. We love the creative fragrances that tend to stick around for a while.
- Threshold Candles – A close second for us are the Threshold candles at Target. They are super affordable and the fragrances are so, so good. The Cashmere Vanilla candle is one of our favorites.
- Hearth & Hand with Magnolia – A candle with Joanna Gaines’ stamp of approval? Count us in! The fragrances in this line are a little more subtle, but beautiful nonetheless. They burn slowly and evenly – definitely a brand to give a try!
- Project 62 – Cute and clever, the Project 62 candles are tons of fun. The Birthstone candles are very pretty and scent well, so they would make excellent inexpensive gifts.
- Freres Branchiaux – We’re super excited you can now get this luxury brand of candles at Target. This black-owned business is top notch in the candle realm, with scents that will surely please any giftee.
Best Candles On Amazon
As such a huge marketplace, it’s sometimes hard to swim through the maze and find the best candles on Amazon. We’ve done the hard work for you and point you in the direction of some of the best brands you can find here.
- Brooklyn Candle Studio – The soy candles from Brooklyn Candle Studio are 100% vegan and phthalate-free. Some of their bestsellers can be found on Amazon, like their travel-inspired candles in the Escapist Collection. You can’t go wrong with any of the choices here.
- Mrs. Meyers Clean Day – If you are looking for simple, clean-burning candles on Amazon, shop the Mrs. Meyers brand. They have a pretty wide array of soy candles, with travel tins and glass jar candles to choose from. We’re partial to the Lemon Verbena fragrance.
- Sweet Water Decor – With an array of beautiful scent blends and adorable accessories, Sweet Water Decor is one of the best candle brands to shop on Amazon. It will be super hard to stop at just one, so be prepared to fill up your cart when your browse the options.
- Serenity by Jan – If your giftee is a fan of The Office, be sure to grab you a Serenity by Jan candle or two. They are sold by different sellers on Amazon, but they are all really fabulous and are good for tickling the funny bone.
- Homesick – The Homesick candles make excellent gifts, and you can find a wide number of thier candles on Amazon. These are perfect to help celebrate your giftee’s home state.
Whew! That’s it! Hopefully you’ve found a gift or two while browsing our Ultimate Candle Gift Guide. These are some of the best of the best, and we don’t think you can go wrong with any of the companies listed. Don’t forget to treat yourself while you’re at it. You deserve it.
Need help keeping up with all the gifts you’re gifting? Get your FREE shopping list to keep track of ALL of our gift guide recommendations and look like the savvy candle shopper you are.
Happy candle shopping!
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click through one of them and make a purchase, Candlefind may receive a small commission, at no additional cost to you. It is your ongoing support that helps make Candlefind successful, and for that we are thankful.