This forum is now open to consumers, sales representatives, and vendors alike. For consumers that want a private place to chat, consider joining the Consumers Only Club. There is a Vendors Only Club as well, open only to vendors and sales representatives. 

Any questions, comments, or concerns, please email: andrea at candlefind dot com. 

Thanks & have fun!

cmarie

Tarts vs. Candles - how do you decide?

This thread is for anyone who enjoys both melting tarts and burning candles:

When you're placing an order from a vendor who does both candles and tarts well, and you know you want to get some of a particular scent, how do you decide whether to get it in tarts or candles? Obviously people are more likely to get a whole candle of their favorite scents, but is there anything more to it than that? For example, are you more likely to get candles of wintry scents and tarts of summery scents? Or do you picture where in your home you would like to smell the scent and decide based on that room? Does the strength of the scent play into it at all? Do you get both candles and tarts in the same scent and if so, why?

Some of my favorite vendors are great at making both tarts and candles, and I really, really enjoy both, so I often have this "problem" of deciding which forms will best satisfy my wax craving!!

[smilie=th_235F35F32]

Hey Christy!

I have certain spots in my home for candles. I use summer scents in the hotter months and fall/Christmas scents in the colder ones. I try to use up by the end of each season, but if not I switch them out. My tarts are always going in the same rooms and if I love a scent, I do use it in candle and tarts! [smilie=th_aa17]

Interesting topic, Christy. I'm much more into tarts than candles, but I do like the candles too. Because I live in the desert where summers are HOT, I burn less that time of year. I've had a few exceptions (Coconut Hibiscus, for one) but usually my candles are cool season favorite scents. For small etailers, I only buy candles in scents I've tried and loved in tarts. I also buy Slatkin from BBW online but have checked 'em out in the store previously.

Gail

For example, are you more likely to get candles of wintry scents and tarts of summery scents?

Kind of... I do burn candles more in fall / winter, but have some florals and fruits scents that I'd associate more with summer in candle form to burn year-round. I enjoy candles.

Or do you picture where in your home you would like to smell the scent and decide based on that room?

Not as much. I have candles AND tarts in every room with scent, except the hallway, entryway and dogs' room. Those are tarts-only because flame in those areas would be difficult to monitor and subject to drafts.

Does the strength of the scent play into it at all?

Yes. If something is a lighter throw in a tart and I can't compensate with a wide container for a bigger pool, then I stick to tarts. I don't want to be disappointed by the too-light throw of a candle.

Do you get both candles and tarts in the same scent and if so, why?

Because I'm obsessed? LOL! Sometimes I do, but it's only for things I'm just crazy about. I like burning candles but can't really powerburn one 12 or more hours a day, so tarts come in handy. If I'm truly ga-ga over it, I'll get the fragrance oil too (if it's available).

A vendor has to be good before I'll chance a candle purchase. If they can't get a tart to throw, there's little hope for the candle. I also check for reviews or comments about how well a candle burns because it's so much more complicated to get that right. I'm more willing to experiment with vendors via a tart purchase, and pretty unlikely to get a candle unless I see raves about them. I can find almost anything I want candlewise from the 4 main vendors I buy from. It's one thing to gamble on a dollar-ish tart that sticks around for a day vs. at least 10 for a candle that will hang around whether you love it or not.

Here's what I do.

I strictly buy candles from Yankee and Slatkin. I almost never buy tarts from YC. They are too expensive. I'll only buy a tart if I need to push my basket a dollar or two over to use a coupon or if we are in the store and DD sees a tart that she wants. That is the only time I'll pay full price for a YC tart. She once begged for a Peppermint Swirls tart and I got it for her because she loves peppermint scents. I also never pay full price for a YC or Slatkin candle as there is almost always a sale going on for those candles. The only time I pay full price for a YC candle is when it's a treasure that I know has a high chance of selling out quickly.

I buy all of my tarts from Carol. Her selection is huge and she offers so many wonderful scents that I don't feel the need to buy elsewhere. Once in a while Carol will send me a candle as a thank you and I'll burn it. Her candles are just as wonderful as her tarts. Her candles are also very pretty. Many times she'll sprinkle this glitter stuff on them and it makes the candles look so pretty!

I'm not into oils.

I am a Slatkin candle gal - and I will get YC and Village at a good price. I hate paying shipping on heavy candles, so those I get locally.

Most of the time, I am shopping in the tart department.

i love my tarts, my dh loves candles. but since im home more than he is, my tarts win most of the time. i dont tend to burn anything during the summer months since we keep our windows open. i do season appropriate during those time, and switch them off and on with my other scents. i really have no rhyme or reason to which scent i choose

I burn and melt all year long. It's always hot here, so I've gotten used to candles in the heat.

My stash is usually the determining factor in what I order. If I have a larger candle stash, I'll stick to buying melts for a while, and when I have lots of melts, I switch to candles.

Shipping cost is another factor. If a company calculates shipping by weight, I'll often go with melts.

I like melts but candles are my favorite.

I use candles when it is darker... Nights or stormy days. I generally melt tarts year round, at any time of the day. Candles are pretty, but tarts smell better.

I prefer to buy candles in stronger scents that I have already tried in a tart. I've wasted too much money on lightly scented candles - not due to poor candemaking skills, but because they were very light fragrance oils to begin with. So, I like to try a tart before I drop $15+ on a candle.

I guess I use more candles during the winter months, since it gets dark earlier. I just don't love the look of flames in sunlight, I guess! I alo use tarts exclusively in the hall and bathroom, because I don't like unattended open flames.

Of course I am a tart and candle addict but I've found lately that I cannot smell my candles as much as I used to. I think I now have candle nose because sometimes I can't even smell my tarts! But I do know that I now need the strength of the tarts to be completely satisfied. Has this happened to anyone else?

Of course I am a tart and candle addict but I've found lately that I cannot smell my candles as much as I used to. I think I now have candle nose because sometimes I can't even smell my tarts! But I do know that I now need the strength of the tarts to be completely satisfied. Has this happened to anyone else?

Yep! So now I am so picky as to what candles I burn! It's funny though, how everyone's noses are different...my DD says that people are always saying they smell candles on her but we can't smell it!

I like both tarts and candles, but candles are my favorite. I really hate throwing away the used wax from melts. It seems there should be something you could do with that wax. What I like about tarts is that I get to try many different scents. If I find a scent I really like, then I'll get that scent in a candle. I try to find vendors that do both candles and tarts.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.