The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Sign in to follow this  

Unexpected scent associations

Have you even fired up a melt of a scent you thought you'd love, only to have it remind you of something weird?

I'm melting a Frosted Lime Cupcake tart and from the description I thought I'd really like it, but when the aroma started to disperse, I found myself thinking "hmmm... that's familiar...but not necessarily yummy" but I couldn't place where I'd smelled that before.

Then I walked into my bathroom and it dawned on me. It smells just like the blue fizzy tablets I put in the tank.

[smilie=th_shocked_sick_big]

LOL!! It's no fault of the vendor. I'm hoping the cleaning product people don't use any other fragrances because I sure don't want to associate some scents I'd like with cleaning. Bleah.

LOL Stardust!!! That's funny...

SO far I haven't had a bad association but I have had that happen many times in a good way!

A lot of times I will melt something and all of a sudden it reminds me of a smell of a favorite person or of a time long ago....I love when that happens.

For me, it was a candle scent called Frangipani, which sounded really nice. As it was burning, I kept thinking it had a *familiar* smell, and then my kids said "ewwwww, your candle smells like the bathroom at the Rec center". Yep, it smelled like the bathroom deodorizer, but we had lots of good times at the Rec center where they grew up, so it wasn't entirely bad! lol

[smilie=th_sml29]

[smilie=th_sign0162] That does happen to me occasionally, especially because I am always trying out new scents, and some of them inevitably end up reminding me of other smells.

There was one scent from Can-Do like Oklahoma Breeze or Country Breeze that just screamed "HOUSEHOLD CLEANER" to me, but not because it was an awful scent. In fact, it was a very nice scent, but it kept reminding me of a recently used disinfectant cleaner more than it did of any sort of floral breeze.

It always just amazes me how a particular scent can unexpectedly lead me to recall a certain mood or setting, no matter how long ago I had the experience.

When I was a child my mother bought some bath gelee from a Luzier consultant friend of hers, and she would let me use some in my bath on special occasions, or when I begged her enough. I searched for that scent for many years in candles, lotions, practically anything with a scent, until somehow I remembered what I thought might be the name of the company and searched on the internet. Taking a chance, I ordered what looked to be the exact product, but with modern packaging. Bingo! Score! It's an herbal, rainforest type scent that instantly transports me back to childhood innocence, and I will always keep stocked up on it from now on. The interesting thing about the scent is it doesn't smell like anything much until it gets added to water. I would buy a case of tarts if they came in that particular scent!

Wow Candlefan - how lucky to rediscover a long-lost beloved scent! I wonder if there is a vendor you buy from regularly who might try and duplicate it for you?

Nautilique - LOL! I'm glad someone else had they bathroom deodorizer experience. It's funny how you realize it's familiar but can't place it. I think I'll melt the rest in that pack in the dogs' room. They won't care - and there's a bath off their room anyway.

well, the only thing I can think of that makes me associate a scent w/someONE is Downy scent. blugh, can't do it. Only because last yr I went to a craft fair. there was this man there selling his homemade candle 'creations'. they looked good enough and he had marked them down near the end of the fair. i bought one of his candles in the 'downy' scent and it was obviously not made w/good wax or good oil or something. it nauseated me and to make matters worse, he came across as someone that would look up little girl's dresses. no offense but he had a creepy way about him.

I got a free sample of downy fresh or something like that from a vendor; one whiff and yep, I saw that perv and smelled that cheap candle.

needless to say, I use nothing but downy for my fabric softener and have for years. thank goodness his 'creation' didn't smell like the real mccoy!

Ew, Susan...not so good!

I also have a scent forever ruined... I thought I would love a scent called Custard Curry. Maybe Curry Custard?

My college aged son walked in the house and said "what smells like strong B O? I feel like I am in the dorm".

He nailed it, I knew I was not a fan when it started going, but after that descripton...well, no more curry custard in this house!

My college aged son walked in the house and said "what smells like strong B O? I feel like I am in the dorm".

OMG, I laughed out loud for real! some of the peaches do that to me; just depends on the oil.

there was a buttercream once I got from a wonderful vendor who is well regarded; loved them all but her buttercreams. they smelled like baby vomit or rancid butter. not good.

there was a buttercream once I got from a wonderful vendor who is well regarded; loved them all but her buttercreams. they smelled like baby vomit or rancid butter. not good.

Oh yes SUSAN...I remember that one!!! I had one of those too!!! Anthoer one that never works for me is> Raspberry Cream...it doesn't matter what vendor...always smells like sour milk!

WOW girls..I soooo know exactly what you are talking about!! I have had a few that do that to me too..never wanted to mention it cause I didn't want to hurt a vendors feelings, ya know!! So I just kinda wrote it off and tried to remember NOT to order that one again!! Funny how our noses can be huh!!

I love the ones that remind me of special times..like scents that take you back to an occation that really was fun and all, like music, scents take me back and remind me of so much!! I love that!!

For some reason, Can Do's Mimi's House reminds me of my childhood, can't really pinpoint why, but I love melting it cause it takes me back to my wonderful years of being a kid...I was blessed with an incredible childhood and I love remembering back to those days!!

Great topic..thank you for the laughs and good thoughts of just what does some of the smells remind us of [smilie=th_i-m_so_happy]