The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Sign in to follow this  
PuppyLove

Why Do Scents Change Throughout the Day?

I'm melting Haley's Cornucopia today. It's pear, pumpkin, cinnamon, clove, sugar, and vanilla. It started out mostly pear, which I've recently discovered isn't a big fave of mine. :huh: And the throw was average. After a couple of hours I noticed that it's morphed into something a lot better. Now it's a yummy spicy pumpkin and the throw is terrific! :D

Why does this happen? Does anyone know? [smilie=th_myspacepunked_sign000 I think it has to do with top note, middle note, etc. but I don't really know what that means. I was looking at a vendor's site yesterday and there was an explanation of it. I thought I bookmarked the page for later study but noooo such luck. [smilie=th_hmph]

Anybody care to comment?

Thanks!!

Curious Gail

Hi "Curious Gail"! [smilie=th_76d65c2f]

I know what you mean about morphing scents! I don't know for sure, but I would think that certain scents in a given blend burn off more quickly than others, leaving a base scent underneath. I know with wearable fragrances, each has top, middle, and base notes. The base notes are what remain and really intermingle with skin chemistry. That's why when trying on fragrance they always say to wait for a bit for the middle and top notes to diminish before judging if you like it.

I think perhaps another possibility is that our nose can get used to certain strong fragrance notes after a couple hours of smelling them, rendering our perception diminished to where we can't as easily smell them. Maybe this allows other fragrances in the blend to better stand out. But I would guess it has way more to do with certain fragrance notes fading more readily.

[smilie=thank_you] for your responses, Candlefan and SweetTart.

Candlefan, what you said makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the illuminating info! [smilie=th_fabulous1]

Gail

What an interesting convo! I have not really had it happen with tarts/candles except that it can go from very light throw to a BIG one as it gets hotter...I notice that a lot with GG. How interesting about the perfume though...very true in my experience! It can also change completely depending on "who" is wearing it.