The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Sign in to follow this  
Candlefind Placeholder

Large Rooms

WOW Heart ...6 melters? I don't have high ceilings but that's a great point...I never thought about how to scent an area like that. I seem to remember my sis saying something about that in her last house...

It sure requires buying a lot of wax. :(

[smilie=th_prod_107_1676]

I'm having the same problem in the house I'm renting. The living room has cathedral ceilings. I tried a melter and a candle of the same scent in that room and I could not smell anything. So I tried a 24 watt electric melter with a tart from Can-do in the entry way which is next to the living room and I could smell the tart when I entered the living room. I guess the air flow and all that stuff does make sense. I have also been melting in just about every other room in the house. Good luck with chasing the scents!

I'm having the same problem in the house I'm renting. The living room has cathedral ceilings. I tried a melter and a candle of the same scent in that room and I could not smell anything. So I tried a 24 watt electric melter with a tart from Can-do in the entry way which is next to the living room and I could smell the tart when I entered the living room. I guess the air flow and all that stuff does make sense. I have also been melting in just about every other room in the house. Good luck with chasing the scents!

Thanks twinsmom. I think you understand. If I have a really strong scent like a Can-Do, it takes two, but only lasts about 4 hours. I have to fiil all 6 mlelters for company to smell them. Seems like a Yankee 2 wick or Tyler candle does better. :)

This may sound crazy but I have huge ceilings and I found by trial and error that if I place a melter upstairs in the loft area it will scent the downstairs--it hits the lower ceiling there and shoots it right down to the living room. Of course, my upstairs is a loft area but if you have any way to get your melter under a lower ceiling area you will be shocked at the throw you get. Not knowing how your house is, of course, this may not be feasible for you but for anyone with an open floor plan with an upstairs it might be worth a try. It sure solved my problem, as I, like you, was having to run multiple melters and still not getting a substantial throw. Good Luck!

This may sound crazy but I have huge ceilings and I found by trial and error that if I place a melter upstairs in the loft area it will scent the downstairs--it hits the lower ceiling there and shoots it right down to the living room. Of course, my upstairs is a loft area but if you have any way to get your melter under a lower ceiling area you will be shocked at the throw you get. Not knowing how your house is, of course, this may not be feasible for you but for anyone with an open floor plan with an upstairs it might be worth a try. It sure solved my problem, as I, like you, was having to run multiple melters and still not getting a substantial throw. Good Luck!

Thanks trep..it sure does not sound crazy at all. I do have one melter that will throw in that area all the way down the hallway and to my bedrooms (it's part of my entry hall in that big area). It just doesn't cover the area with the high ceilings. I don't have an upstairs, but that does make sense and may help someone else who reads this.

Bless you for you suggestions! [smilie=th_f5a39fcb]

Another way to get the air circulating is to get a fan, like a Vornado, and tilt it so it's facing the ceiling. It will circulate the air up at the ceiling and bring it back down again. We own a few of these fans (purchased right from their website) and they are great. They really do circulate and not just blow the air.

Wow this is very interesting. You guys are so creative i see here on how to try to get a better scent throw.

Cisley - I never even thought of putting more then one melter in the same room when it is a pretty big area, like one in the front and one in the back to give it even more of a better throw. I'm gona try that in my LR. Makes logical sense, can't believe i didn't even think of doing that in the beginning. :lol: Lol.

:lol: you guys. thank you.

My own ceilings upstairs are cathedral style, but not terribly high. Still, the living room, kitchen, and dining room are all open together, and it can be super tricky to scent everything. I finally discovered that turning on my ceiling fan on its slowest speed helps circulate wax scents best. If I am burning candles and don't want to deal with drafts, I will often buy two or more of the same candles and burn them simultaneously in different parts of upstairs.

Heart:

I have a single story home without high ceilings but I still have to have 4 tarts going to get a great throw in the front and 2 in the back. It's just they way the house is built. I go thru a lot of wax too.

I go thru a lot of wax too, but can't burn candles because of kids here. I have to have a very strong tart! [smilie=th_WE1summer013]

SweetTart:Some of the forum members even melt tarts in their bathrooms. I don't have spacious counter space so I am not one of them and besides, that would cost me even more $$$.Cisley

:shock: ooooooh!! thats interesting!! wow!! you guys are so creative!! man you can tell how a newbie i am at this. Lol. and yeah your rite Cisley, that means more money though. Hee Hee!

I am a bathroom melter.lol

Me too! We put in a shelf over the shower it's perfect.

I don't have high ceilings but my kitchen has a large eating area that flows into the den which makes for a fairly large area so I also keep three melters going in the den and three in the kitchen and eating area. I also have more trouble scenting areas in the summer with the A/C on than I do in the winter with the heat. It seems that in my house the colder temp needs more or stronger scents in order for me to smell a scent.

toberetired:

That is interesting. I hadn't noticed about the scent throw regarding air conditioning versus heating. We don't have to use our air here too much but next time we do, I will pay attention.

Sounds like you need to melt as much as I do in order to smell anything in your home.

Cisley

How I envy you Cisley - I would love to not use the A/C so much and just open the windows. I love spring and fall when we can do that here. I am in Virginia and our real temperature on Sunday was 108. Broke an almost 100 year record. The East Coast has had a horrific two weeks with heat over 100, so A/C is a necessity. Luckily, we had a storm Sunday night and are back to normal temps in mid 80s to mid 90s . I'd be curious if anyone else noticed a difference in melting with the air on rather than off. Maybe it's just my the layout of my house.

I never noticed before, but this thread got me thinking. It seems like scents throw better with the heater and not as good with the A/C. Certainly not as good when DH blasts all the ceiling fans at top speed. [smilie=th_Welcome1-1] Then again, do you guys suppose most fall and winter scents are stronger, with their spiciness and robust ingredients? [smilie=th_WE1summer013] At the moment, one little Haley's soy clamshell cube in Red Delicious Apple is holding its own very nicely against the fans, so I really don't know... [smilie=th_slider_flirt]

Gail