The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Sign in to follow this  
Candlefind Placeholder

tea lights for burning?

I know I ran across a post here while perusing but can't find it through search button, and with reading through thread titles but I bought a bag of 50 tea lights unscented on Monday and have already gone through 2/3 of the bag. They were candle-lite and got them @CVS for $3.99. Now I know they were cheap, but I had some tea lights sitting around here I got 2 yrs ago at Family Dollar and they lasted longer than these. I only get about 1.5-2 hrs with these new ones.

What would you suggest for the longest lasting ones? I thought I read on that particular post I can't find Bed bath and Beyond was one suggested? I've got a Bath/Bodyworks next door to BBB that I have to run to this weekend.(I know, that is a double-bad too-convenient store location lol)

sorry for the redundant post but couldn't find the other one.

thanks in advance.

I loved the tea lights at Dollar Tree but they discontinued their big bags of them and now they have these itty bitty bags and I don't think it's worth it. The tea lights that I swear by now are the big bags for like 2 bucks at WalMart. Those things last forever!! I have tried the Candle Lite ones when I couldn't get ahold of anything else and they are ok. I buy the tealights at Walgreen's and they have been hit and miss for me. Sometimes they put off a great flame and sometimes it's just ridiculous and has made me get in the car and drive all the way to Walmart!

I have always wanted to try etailers tea lights but as much burning of tarts that I do, I would be broke. I have heard alot of people buy the ones from Ikea and like them alot.

I highly recommend Walmart's though.

I got a box of 100 at Target, and while they burn okay, the metal containers are really sharp! I've gotten lots of little cuts (like paper cuts) just from grabbing them. This has never happened to me with any other brand of tealight, and now I'm super careful when handling them. I probably should have returned them! Next time I'm going to pick up a box from Wal-Mart.

I am right now using up the tealights I bought from Target, (my sister swore by them), I'm only get 3 hours out of these, and they come right out of the metal if you pick them up by the wick. I love, Bed, Bath and Beyond tealights. Very well made, and I get at least 4 hours out of each tealight. In addition, they are I think $5.99 a bag regular price and then you can use the 20% coupons that are always available. So It comes to less than $5 for the bag. I might be going to the mall today, and I will stop just to get a bag of these and give the rest of the Target brand back to my sister.

I use B&BW most all the time. I have also tried World Market and they are great except for off-center at time. I like the packaging of B&BW, neat and fits in a file drawer AND I can usually use coupons to get free products but they are not inexpensive ($6. for 30).

I have never tried Walmart but I might as well give them a chance, since I have a recommendation, never hurts.

I have heard some people like YC but they are also expensive.

I have always been reluctant to try a new brand of tealights unless I have seen a recommendation.

Thanks for the NO votes from Walgreens and Target, appreciate the info.

One thing I have noticed, when taking a look at what is offered, some are VERY shallow and others aren't. I have to wonder if those shallow ones (Michael's, JoAnn's) burn for very long but I am not going to try. Any input???

Cisley

For me, finding the right tealight has been more about getting a decent flame more than burning time. I tried Target's and the flame was just too small to get my tarts as hot as I like. Walgreen's tealights were a little better, but not great. Yankee's are perfect, nice flame and long burn time, but too expensive. The $2 bags at Wal-Mart used to be the way to go, but when they changed the design on the bag, I'm certain they changed the tealights as well, because the flame is too little on them now. The ones I buy now are the box of 25 from Mainstays at Wal-Mart. They are a bit more expensive than the bag, but they have a nice strong flame. Only last about four hours though, but it's worth it for the flame.

I buy the box of Mainstays from Walmart just like Jason does. They are $1.50 a box and have a nice flame and decent burn time, obviously not as long as more expensive ones, but I have been pretty happy with these!

thanks all for the replies. I'll have to try Walmart mainstays for the heck of it to compare.

I ended up going to Bed,Bath,and Beyond and got the bag of 100 for $5.99 and thank you to Sillymom for reminding me to go get a coupon! they ended up being $5.11 total with the tax.

I started them when I got home this afternoon -probably around 3:30. It is now almost 8pm and they are still going!!!! they actually are the same height as the ones from candle-lite but sure last a heck of a lot longer.

*I also noticed that when I put the HFO in the one in the bathroom and kitchen, in no time the oil was gone so I think they also somehow burn stronger. I changed out the oil in the bathroom for a melt-after approx. 3 hrs burn time and in no time at all, that cute little citrus linen H20 cherub shaped melt from CCCC was melted!.

I would have to give these a two thumbs up compared to what I had before.

let me know what you think. I am very impressed. I had a few left from candle-lite and I've used both at the same time and the BBB last twice (and a bit more) longer. I'd definitely buy these again and to have 100 in the bag for $5.99(a bit less with a coupon) it's a good deal.

Tunisian, I'm glad you liked the tealights. I actually went yesterday to BB&B, and got a bag (used my coupon!). Then I packed up the Target tealights and gave them to my sister. She didn't believe me that they lasted longer, so we lit them both at the same time, and here's what I found. The flame on the BB&B tealight was much higher than the Target, for the whole burn time. Also, the BB&B tealight last 4 hours and 20 minutes, the Target 3 hours 15 minutes, so I'm getting an entire hour more. I think with the coupon the BB&B were a little cheaper as well.

I am using the Target ones right now (disappointed) but my favorite are the Glimmas from Ikea.... unfortunately my IKEA is like 45 mins from me so I never get down there. Next time I will stock up... 100 for I think $3.99 they last sooo long!

The Yankee candle tealights are very good but on the expensive side. I really like the ones from Bed Bath and Beyond and they last a long time.

These are the two that I have right now. I use the Yankee tealights when I'm going to be home all day to enjoy them. I use the BBB tealights when I know I'll need to blow them out before they are finished. I don't mink wasting the BBB kind once in a while.

well that is very interesting research you provided, sillysmom. and thanks again for the input and reminding me to get a coupon lol I'm really pleased.

I'll have to try the IKEA. that's a good deal. so glad we have an IKEA here now.

For me, finding the right tealight has been more about getting a decent flame more than burning time. I tried Target's and the flame was just too small to get my tarts as hot as I like. Walgreen's tealights were a little better, but not great. Yankee's are perfect, nice flame and long burn time, but too expensive. The $2 bags at Wal-Mart used to be the way to go, but when they changed the design on the bag, I'm certain they changed the tealights as well, because the flame is too little on them now. The ones I buy now are the box of 25 from Mainstays at Wal-Mart. They are a bit more expensive than the bag, but they have a nice strong flame. Only last about four hours though, but it's worth it for the flame.

I totally agree, Jason that once the packaging changed on the bags at Wal Mart the tealights were not the same. It happened with Target and Walgreens also. I used to get great ones there but no more. I am curious about BB&B as the only bag I ever got there were the worst ones ever. They didn't even have enough flame for a tealight holder and they would never have melted a tart. I have been afraid to try them again. I got a box of the Wal Mart ones today so will be trying them out tonight. Thanks for the tip that they are different than the ones in the bags.

I have to agree with the poster who mentioned Glimmas by Ikea. They are BY FAR the best tea lights I have found. Easily as good as Yankee's super expensive ones!

The price is phenomenal also. Considering they last several hours and I have never had a dud, they are $4.99 for 100, which makes them quite a bargain. They also re-light pretty easily, which I do frequently. The closest Ikea to me is an hour away, so whenever I'm in the area I stop and stock up. In fact, I was there 2 weeks ago and bought 10 packages which equals 1000 tea lights! Considering everyone else likes them too, I tend to give a few away... but they should last me a few months - hopefully!

I don't have an IKEA nearby but I remember some time ago, someone posted how great those are. Even on EBAY, they are pretty pricey. Guess I need to get a box of Mainstays at Walmart.

IKEA lights are cheap - IF you can get them in the store. The high cost on Ebay is mostly due to shipping.

I just wish IKEA sold them online, but unfortunately they don't. At $4.99 for 100 tea lights that last a minimum of 5 hours each - that's a real bargain. I even called the store that I go to (which is too far away for a casual visit) and asked if they would ship in large quantity - they won't. It's against their policy.... [smilie=th_326db8b3]

Actually took a ride to Ikea today, I think the last time I was there was about 2 years ago. Of course I got a package of the Glimma tealights. They were only $3.99 for 100, can't beat that. Gonna try my first one tomorrow and I'll let you know how well they burn. In fact, I'm going to try the BBB against the Ikea tart, see which has a higher flame, and which lasts longer. I post the results.

ah, thanks Sillysmom. will be glad to see the results. I plan on stopping by IKEA soon to get some. that's an incredibly cheap price; at that cost, I'll buy a few bags. Just emptied my BBB bag into my 3 different containers.

I just picked up 3 more bags of tealights from Bed Bath and Beyond with the $5 off coupon. This is the second or third time I've bought them and I've been very happy with them. I use them with my glass mosaic from Yankee. I also stack them.

I've tried Ikea and thought they were good, but I don't recall getting 5 hours with them. I think my biggest reason for not buying them anymore is that they are not convenient to get and I didn't find they relight well. I don't relight mine anymore (they get transferred to my tealight holders if there is enough wax left) so maybe I should give them another try if I'm ever in the area.

I've also tried Yankee and Candle-lite, sold at Rite Aid and CVS. I wasn't impressed with Yankee for the money. I also had a really big issue with one that almost went on fire because of a double wick. Candle-lite burn a little too hot for me and I was having a hard time getting them on sale. They are normally 50 for $5.