The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Sign in to follow this  
Candlefind Placeholder

hi from Indiana :)

Hi everyone,

I'm a grad student who has always been kind of into scented candles but recently got into it a bit more. Hopefully DH will be able to put up with it! :shock:

There is a Yankee store in my town and I just bought my first big candle -- Fireside! There are a few other YC scents I'm interested in too, and I am also interested in trying soy candles since I've heard they're supposed to be cleaner and stronger smelling, but I am particular about scent and don't want to waste money on a candle I haven't been able to smell beforehand. (how do you guys deal with this by the way?!? I'm too poor to not love what I buy...)

Also, any tips on how to start my new, big YC would be appreciated. I've done some reading and apparently the rules are keep the wick trimmed and use a lid. I will be disappointed if it tunnels...anyway, good to be here! I'm glad I found a good resource for this.

Hi Cmarie,

Welcome.

With your new YC jar, you shouldn't need to trim the wick before the very first burn, just keep an eye on it after a few hours. Be sure to let your candle burn for long periods of time so it can get a good scent pool of wax. Enjoy. Remember that if you're not happy with it, you can return it for a refund or replacement. Yankee is great about that. I don't always use a lid and I sometimes need to fold the wax from the sides down into the center while it's soft.

Many of us melt wax tarts as well as candles which makes it easier to try new scents without a hugh $$ investment. I read other opinions too about vendors. After a while you will know which scents you prefer and which ones to avoid. Finding your favorite scent is half the fun.

Anyway, you'll find your way. We'll be here to point you to the best sales. :shock:

Welcome Cmarie you will get lots of information that will minimize the wasted money on no scent candles. I've been there before too. Happy shopping .

Welcome to the forum....it's great here and you will get wonderful advice! There's a lot of candle pro's on here! :shock:

Great to have you aboard, CMarie. You will learn a lot about scented wax here, as you can see from the first responses to your first inquiry. Yankee was my first big candle love and I return to it often. I did have to break down and buy one of their "Illumalids" CMarie, to keep the large candles from tunneling. I hated to spend that extra money but, until I did, my Yankee candles often tunneled and/or burned uneven. I just got a gorgeous pewter one this summer on sale at the Yankee website for half price and it makes the jar candles look so elegant as well as helping with an even burn and wax pool.

By exploring on the Internet with the help of my equally addicted cousin, and then finding Candlefind and this splendid Forum I have been able to branch out and find many excellent wax tart companies. So keep posting and reading and you will learn where to put your hard earned money, CMarie. All the best,

Patsy :shock:

Guest stardustgirl

:shock:

Hi! Grad school... which one? If you're anywhere near Richmond, IN you'll want to visit the Warm Glow candle outlet.

I suffer from starving artist syndrome so understand the $$$ thing. I tend to test a scent with a wax melt before I invest in a candle, that way it's only a 50 cent to $2 expense instead of $10 or $20 or more. Once I find a good one, I wait for a sale then make a big purchase.

I'm sure you'll have some great experience to share with us as you try some of the vendors recommended here. I am anxiously awaiting my first online vendor purchases. I started with Yankee as well. I can only afford to buy when coupons come out. The sales info on here is great, there is always a good sale to order from. Welcome!

:shock:

;) cmarie! Yankee is what made me cross the line from candle lover to scent addict. I still buy their tarts, but only when there is a sale or I have a coupon. I'm glad I branched out, though, because I am having a lot of fun trying different e-tailers! :shock:

Wow, I am impressed that there are so many responses already! Thanks for the great welcome!

I do not live too close to Richmond, but I'll keep the recommendation in mind if I ever go in that direction! :shock:

And I'll definitely post a review if I ever order online. Most people here seem pretty into pure integrity, so I might try them sometime in the future, or others, you never know. I was trying to find tarts there and only found tealights so far, but some I might be willing to purchase un-sniffed ;)

Thanks also for the YC tips. I am going back to the store to buy a topper tomorrow morning, or else I'll buy one on eBay. Seems like it's worth the investment for at least one.

Hi! I think we have all been in the same boat - especially if that expensive candle tunnels...

I hope you have as much fun learning as we have/do!

Hi Cmarie, welcome to the forum. You will learn so much here. Definitely try some of the online vendors. I'm still a YC fan, but like most of us here, I try to buy mostly when there is a sale. Many online vendors are much less expensive and have many different scents. Definitely tarts are the way to go to try new scents before buying larger candles. I myself only use tarts, I like to change scents often. Enjoy yourself and ask lots of questions.

Guest Anonymous

Hi CMarie. I'm new here, too and really enjoying learning from everyone else's experience. Welcome!

Welcome to the forum, CMarie. You will have fun as you branch out and try stuff. I started out burning mostly Yankee jars, then got into the Yankee tarts, now I have branched out to try many vendors and I'm loving it. I still love Yankee too, of course. As others have said, I highly recommend investing in a tart burner and some tarts. You'll be hooked in no time! Have fun! P.S.- Let us know how that Fireside is.

Guest Anonymous
:lol: cmarie! Welcome! You're going to find lots of new vendors/scents to try here. Have fun!