The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Sign in to follow this  
Candlefind Placeholder

Past Introductions

Guest Anonymous

Ok..I'm SO obsessed with the tart forum I didn't realize this was here..I am Melissa..I am 39..I have 7 furbabies(5 cats,2 dogs)...I live on LSD in Chicago..I am a paramedic..I am lucky enough not to have to work right now so I do alot of volunteer work in E.Rs around Chi..I also do ride alongs with the fire Dept.. I am SO addicted to tarts I can't tell you how many orders I have placed in the past 3 weeks to a month...Nene's,P.I,Warm Impressions,LOL candles,tartwarmers.com,Angelscented.com,missystemptingtarts,whiffandsniff,Bissyb's,Tyler's from Sue Patrick,More dreamtarts,4 or 5 other E-bay sellers,Bella's,and that is just the beginning.Seriously : ) ..Anyway,nice to meet everyone! Happy New Year!

Gina, I wish you the best of luck with Law School. You mention living in CT...My husband is from Ridgefield, CT. and most of his family still live there. In fact, his brother owns the Village Tax Shop in Ridgefield, and is an attorney/accountant. Where in CT do you live ?

It must be exciting to plan a Disney World Vacation. We were there with the kids a couple of years ago and it is spectacular. You must check out Pleasure Island, which is a terrific night spot for couples. My husband and I were lucky to have my parents along for the trip, and they watched the kids while we went to Pleasure Island at night.

Pam (Boogie)

Melissa, you're really smokin' with those tarts you have coming ~

I think Candlefind should have you do some of their official reviews ! I know I'm looking forward to hearing how you like all of your new goodies. What is LSD in Chicago? I know it must stand for a big city but I'm drawing a big blank. Think I need more coffee, lol.

Pam (Boogie)

Guest Anonymous

Pam,your post has me laughing so hard!! It's Lake Shore Drive(AKA Marine Drive)...I hope you are having a GREAT day! Melissa

Guest Anonymous

OMG-too funny..Could you imagine me saying I live on LSD the drug on a public forum?? LMAO..You have me rolling today!

Guest Anonymous

Wow, glad I finally took time to read this thread. Great getting to know everyone.

Boogie, I love nurses, too. Couldn't do my job without them. But I am a physician, so I got my feathers a little ruffled from your comment.

I am a single parent with an 11 year old daughter going on 24 this week. We have moved around quite a bit the past few years, and I always felt my house was stuffy and smelled of boxes. I bought cheapie candles for years, but discovered Candlefind about 2 years ago, I think. When I learned about melts, I was absolutely hooked! What a joy it has been exploring new scents, companies, and making new friends. We have now settled down in Greenwood, MS, and I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon! Now I'm working on those boxes, which seem to be multiplying before my very eyes!

ETA: Forgot to add my real name - Cynthia. And my favorite color is green, so as you can see, I'm not very creative!

Cynthia, I apologize for writing something that made you upset. I actually do love doctors, too, and no, I am not sucking up. lol I developed such strong friendships with nurses back in the "old days" when I used to work. I remember how fatigued and stressed they always seemed to be, and they always felt uplifted when I told them that their hard work didn't go unnoticed and the hospital couldn't function without them.

Please know that my comment was made out of respect for the nursing profession and not out of dislike for physicians.

Do you have a specialty ?

Guest Anonymous

Pam, I understand. Thanks for the reply. I don't usually comment on what I do. I think I was tired, it had been a rough day, and then reading that just made me defensive about my career choice, LOL.

My specialty is physical medicine & rehab (physiatry). Within that, my passion is rehab of neuro patients, particularly stroke patients. I'm working an inpatient rehab unit right now. The nurses and CNAs I work with are absolutely fabulous. I try to remember to tell & show them that often, because I see how hard they work. And I really cannot do my job without them.

We also recently lost our social worker, and I cannot wait until we get a new one! I did appreciate her, but had no idea how much she really did for us. I truly miss her!

I am glad I took time to read this thread, because we are such an interesting group, bound together by a love of scented wax. Now that is definitely priceless!

Have a great day -

Cynthia

Cyn, I think your career choice is FABULOUS ! I have a secret for you ( and I guess the entire worldwide web, lol). When I was a young girl, I wanted to become a neurosurgeon. I knew I was interested in medicine and became especially interested in surgery after learning dissection in 10th grade biology. I was the best in my class at dissection. My teacher called the entire class over to see my work, commenting, "Now this is how it is done."

I don't know where I veered off the path, but I believe I chose the wrong university. My college did not have a strong advisory dept, nor did it have a pre-med program. I got my BA in Psychology and then went for a master's degree at the same school in Health Administration. I never finished my master's program because my husband got a job in the Carolinas and we moved out of NY. Besides, at that point I had already realized that I did not like health administration ( no throwing tomatoes from any health administrators now ! lol).

So that's my story. Always wanted to be a doctor. Oh well...maybe in my next lifetime.

My brain is not what is used to be. I haven't worked in 14 years, which is the age of my oldest child. If I could do it over again, I would have been a part-time stay at home Mom while continuuing to work in health care. The lack of outside stimulation these years has sapped my mental and physical energy. The best advice I ever got, which I didn't follow, was from a cousin. When I had my first child, she told me to NOT stop working . In fact, she even offered to have her housekeeper watch my baby during the day so I could return to work. I didn't want to impose on her, so instead hatched a plan for my mother to watch my baby. Unfortunately, my mother was living in NJ and I was on Long Island in NY. I convinced my husband to start applying for jobs in NJ so we could move near my mother. That was when he hooked up with a company who offered him a position in NC. The rest is history....We moved to NC where we could afford to survive on just his income ( never possible in NY !), and I have not worked since.

I admire what you do and what you have acocmplished to make it in the field ! In fact, I am jealous ! ;)

Guest Anonymous

Pam, I think what you've told me of your life is so interesting! I think we'd have plenty to talk about. And I've always envied those moms who are able to stay home with their little ones. If I was able to, I think I would have. One thing we can't get back is time.

So know that I admire you & wish I could be you just about every day!

Thanks so much for sharing. I look forward to getting to know you more and others on the board.

Guest Anonymous

Boogie -

I am from a small town in the "Valley" of CT but right now I live in the Waterbury area and go to school in Hartford.

I love Pleasure Island, you're right it's a great area down there. Did you check out the Adventurer's Club there? It's a fun time!

Guest Anonymous

Boogie -

I am from a small town in the "Valley" of CT but right now I live in the Waterbury area and go to school in Hartford.

I love Pleasure Island, you're right it's a great area down there. Did you check out the Adventurer's Club there? It's a fun time!

Gina, THAT'S the place whose name I can never remember ! My husband and I loved the Adventurer's Club. It was the only place we spent hours in...and boy, they sure draw you in. Did they do that secret handshake when you were there ? It was a hoot to find another couple the next day who was there the night before and we all did the secret handshake in the middle of Magic Kingdom !

Boogie, did you live on Long Island for awhile? I was born and raised on Long Island (I have since lost most of my accent as I have lived away for many years...)

After college (down south) I moved to New York City (lived in Queens and worked in Manhattan). After that I moved to Rockland County, then Bergen County NJ. I finally landed in Fairfield Country, CT. I have covered the tri-state area well.

I still visit Long Island to see relatives (south shore Suffolk County). I have always loved the beaches there. It will always be home to me.

Guest Anonymous

We all have more and more in common, I see.

Fleur, I lived and worked in Queens for 2 years. Flushing, Queens. I am originally from the South, and it was a big culture shock for me. It's where my daughter was born, but we moved 6 months later.

I loved the shopping opportunities, even though I was broke as a skunk at the time. But I am certainly more suited to the slower lifestyle of the South. And the weather. I remember Blizzard of 96. Brrrr...

cyngreen2, New York is a great place to experience. I enjoyed my years working there. The pace is crazy. It was great to be there while I was young!!

Yes, it is cold up here... I like to escape to warmer climates for vacation...

Fleur, I was born in Brooklyn, NY and lived in the same house for the first 22 years of my life. Therefore, I have a Brooklyn accent that will never go away, lol. I went to Hofstra University in Hempstead, NY (Long Island), and lived in the dorms for 4 years. This is where I met my husband. When I graduated from Hofstra, my parents sold the house in Brooklyn and moved to central NJ. I loved NJ...We were only 30 minutes from the shore and I left a fabulous state job behind when I moved away. I lived in NJ for about 2 1/2 years until I got married in 1991. It was then that I moved back to Long Island .

I really wanted to live on the beach, and we were lucky enough to find a dive of an apartment in Atlantic Beach( with an Ocean View ! ), which is a small beach town next to Long Beach on the south shore. I have my fondest memories of living in Atlantic Beach. It was where my first child was born. We were right on the border of Nassau Cty and Queens, and all I had to do was take a bridge from Atl. Beach to get to the Queens side. I worked in Far Rockaway, Queens up until I had my child. Also worked briefly on the north shore side in Manhasset but it was a nasty commute. I will never miss the traffic in the New York City/Long Island area.

We moved to NC in 1994.

I have always said that someday I will buy a beach house in Atlantic Beach and maybe retire there. Unfortunately, the time to buy a house would have been when we were living there. We looked at a few small homes at the time and the small beachfront home we could have bought for $150,000 is now worth 6 times that ! argghhhhhhhhhhhh I am now interested in finding a beach home in the South. Just doesn't make sense for me to move back North where it is expensive, crowded, and cold. It's just a shame that most of our family and friends live in NY, NJ, and CT.

Boogie, yes it is cold here and the winters are long.

My husband would love to buy a house in Cape Hatteras. We vacationed there a few times years ago. We really loved it. It would be a dream to have a house there.

We would like to go back with the family but it is a 14 hour drive.... with kids and dog...

We usually leave the dog with family and fly to vacations (my husband racks up a lot of frequent flyer miles, so we take advantage of flying).

Anyway, the beaches in North Carolina are spectacular. We stayed near Buxton years ago (I think that is the town, memory foggy). At that time it was a quiet stretch of beach. Very relaxing.

Fleur, the Carolina beaches are wonderful. I have done some internet "research" on beach areas in the Carolinas and would love to live in Hilton Head, SC. It is near Savannah, which is one of the most beautiful cities in this country. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds.My husband travels all over the Carolinas for his job so we can live anywhere in NC or SC.

Another quiet stretch of beach is Kiawah Island, near Charleston. We were there several years ago(that was our last vacation) and the island is totally cut off from civilization. You have to do all of your grocery shopping and business on the mainland. The homes and golf courses there are the finest I have seen anywhere, but the island is practically overrun with aligators.lol

Boogie and Fleur -

You're bringing back some wonderful memories - we visited the Outer Banks for our vacation last summer and loved it!!! Although I could have done without that long drive too...at least it was scenic for the most part. Next time the kids and I will fly and have the DH drive down by himself (he hates to fly). LOL

Fleur - I didn't realize you lived in CT too. Hello from Tolland County!

mjclkc, waving from the other end of the state!! It is so cold! Hopefully getting warmer in the next few days!

Okay, warming up a bit....