The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Sign in to follow this  
Candlefind Placeholder

Past Introductions

Since it looks like many of us are frequent posters, I wonder if anyone would be interested in a 'get to know you' thread - I've seen it done on other boards, and since we have an 'off-topic' area, I thought it might be a good here :)

I'll go first: My name is Jennifer... I have 2 kids, 11 and 6. I am a work-at-home mom.....I have done medical transcription at home for about 11 years now and I work at the crack of dawn every day - which is why Iove the glow of candlelight and the scent surrounding me while I work every morning :(

I started burning candles about this time last year when a friend started selling Gold Canyon candles - she was a good customer of mine so I figured I could buy a candle in return. Holy smokes was I HOOKED!!! After trying other candles and finding soy, I kind of settled on those as a preference but before that first candle purchase I had never bought one or burned a scented candle and now I can't live without them! And of course, the gals over on the Q-board have gotten me hooked on tarts now too! ;)

Next?

Mom, it is so nice to know your real name ! I like calling you Mom, though. lol

My name is Pam and I live in NC. I used to be a social worker, but I am now a stay at home mom with three daughters, ages 14, 11 , and 10.

Since I got involved in Collie Rescue a few years ago, I have acquired four dogs: three large collies and a sheltie. This brings the dog count up to five, as I already had a Chow we rescued ten years ago. As much as I love my animals, I do not like the doggy smell in my house. I started with candles briefly but then learned how much stronger tarts can be. My home now smells wonderful all of the time.

In addition to collecting tarts and now home fragrance oils, lol, I am a doll collector with twenty years experience in the hobby. I also love quilts, hand painted furniture, and Tiffany style lamps. If you have not guessed by now, I have a very cluttered house, and the tendency to collect things !

Boogie (Pam)

This is a great idea! My name is Michelle and we just moved to the Las Vegas area 15 months ago. My husband is in the Air Force so we've lived in some interesting places, including Guam! He has been deployed to Iraq for the past 6 months, but is due home tomorrow! I can't wait. We've been married for almost 15 years and this is the longest we've ever been apart. We have two children; a son, 12 and a daughter, 10. I've been a stay at home mom since my son was born. I never realized how fast time flies until I had kids!

I've always enjoyed scented candles, but last year I discovered tart burners and haven't looked back since! I mostly burn bakery/spicy scents, but I like clean/fresh scents in the bedrooms and bathrooms and sometimes florals, as long as they're not to "flowery".

Guest Anonymous

My name is Cindy. Show Low, Arizona will be my home. I have lived in So Calif for years.

I retired in August from the public school system for 25 years. I worked registration, counseling, attendance and front desk. I have only been burning tarts for about 6 months.

My daughter had a beautiful elk burner from the mountains. I bought one on a visit last April & ordered some tarts from Bissy on Ebay. I was hooked! Now I'm into the oils. I crochet lapghans for senior care homes, hats for newborns and chemo caps. I also ride horses, have a mastiff/bulldog, 2 chi's and 2 parrots. Oh, and 3 grandkids that live in Show Low.

Guest Anonymous

Great Idea Mom(Jennifer)!

My name is Cathy-my friends call me Cat.I am from MO. I am almost a stay at homer, with 4 girls 14,7,7,3.

I do actually make it out of the house to work 3 days a week, as well as running my own business.

I have always been "preoccupied" with scents and the latest gizmos to keep the house smelling nice. But, I came across my first gourmet candle company while out of town-a Gold Canyon convention!Lol! I almost became a rep, until I realized that I would never make a profit! I would buy them all and never sell a thing...

So I settled for keeping on the quest for the perfect candle. 20 years later and I still haven't found it! But I did find tarts somewhere along the way.

Here's a funny about me-when I was in my 20's I bought all these cute things for my kitchen in the perfect theme. They were all very pricey and I was so proud of myself for getting high end things for my starter home. Well, years go by and life goes on. About 6 months ago, I was clearing some things out of storage and came across an old box of mine. Guess what I found inside? This "cute, high end, decoration" that I bought and never knew what it was-it just looked cute sitting on the counter in the kitchen.

Yes ladies, my very first tart melter-cost me $40 and I never used it-didn't even know what it was for!!!

Needless to say, I have used it unmercifully over that last few months!

Pink Sugar, what are chi's ? Sounds like you are an animal lover like myself. I was reading on a candle website (don't remember which one) that certain oils should not be burned around cats and birds. Amazing Grace was mentioned as one of them. Check into this, since you have the parrots.

Cat, that is so funny about your high-end tart burner. I have a philosophy that if I see something that is really nice and my instincts tell me to buy it, I will find a use for it someday.

Boogie (Pam)

Guest Anonymous

Hi Boogie! Chi is short for Chihuahua. I know about the parrots. You can't use aresols because of their delicate lungs. You have to be very careful with teflon if it gets too hot the

fumes will kill them. They have their own bedroom (spoiled) and when out visiting I don't burn anything. I used to have 7 but am down to 2. I have an African Grey I've had for 10 years & a Green-Cheek small parrot. This is one reason I have never burned candles. I started burning tarts in my bedroom & it's at the other end of the house. My girlfriend almost killed her yellow-nape by refinishing her kitchen cabinets & it cost her $1800 in vet bills. They seem to bother my Chi pup more, she sneezes if in the same room & the scent is too strong. I also have two small oil drop burners, one in each bath. I do have a reed difuser in the birds room & it doesn't seem to bother them.

My name is Lisa. I have two kids ages 10 &11 and we live in a small town in CT. Wish I worked at home but right now I work full time outside the home. My husband's a police sergeant so our schedules can get wild sometimes...lots of juggling, which leaves a lot less time for me to enjoy my candles and tarts!! :)

I first got hooked on candles in 1999 when we took a Sunday drive up to Deerfield, MA to visit the Yankee Candle flagship store for the first time. Last year I decided to branch out from Yankee and I started to look for alternatives on the web, which led me straight to Candlefind! I'm having so much fun now buying candles and tarts from different companies.

Well, no surprise, my name is Debra! It wasn't that long ago that I thought candles were a waste of money and had no idea why people bought them, lol! After being drug to a PLite party, where I discovered the melts, I became so obsessed that it is embarrassing! I log in a huge amount of time on this site - and just like to look at the company webstites even if I am not buying. Sorta silly, huh?

I have 2 grown sons, and have 4 pets that have taken their place, 2 dogs and 2 cats. Very expensive ones - our vet loves us! I am in Oregon, and am a RN. My husband is out of town about 3 days a week so I melt like crazy while he is away. (He wants to send me to a "sniffaholic" meeting if one can be found!) My favorites tend to be clean or citrus, but every now and then I find a baking or floral that I have to have.

I also am dabbling in oils and in the fragrance lamps. I am also trying wickless - with the melting plate - but I am not sure if I like these. Curious to know how others feel about those versus flame?

Guest Anonymous

Hi my name is Donna. I have two children 11 and 8. They keep us jumping. The rest of my family lives all over this country. I live in Georgia. My Mom Lives in Birmingham Alabama. My Dad lives in Henderson NV. I have 3 sisters and 1 brother. One sister lives in Little Rock AR. 2 live in Henderson NV and my Brother lives in Phoenix AZ.

I love to read where everyone is from.

Donna

Guest Anonymous

Hi everyone. As you can tell, I'm Tiffany and a nurse. :) I have triplet daughters, they are 6. My husband is in the Army, just back from 15 months in Iraq. We are now moving to Ft. Hood, Texas. I have been a candle fanatic for quite a few years now. First started with Yankee, then I discovered there were better brands out there with much stronger throws. I have tried tons of brands now, like many of you. I adore candles and tarts, I think I may even have my girls hooked on them already. My husband thinks I am crazy. He calls this forum AA for candle lovers. :) I really enjoyed reading about all of you. I enjoy reading this forum everyday to see what you guys are up to.

I have noticed that many of us have young children.

Tiffany, having triplets must be exhausting, and they are still so young. Wow ! Are they best friends? My two youngest girls are only 14 months apart in age and they are true buddies. I am so glad they have each other. It must have been so difficult having your husband away for so long. Please tell him how much he is appreciated for protecting all of us !

Boogie

Just reading back over everyone's posts, and noticed that we have another military family ! Michelle, you must be so relieved that your husband is home ! I bet this separation has been hard for your children, also, as they are old enough to know what this war is about.

I've also noticed that we have two nurses-Debra and Tiffany. I've always loved nurses as I used to work closely with them when I was a social worker. Nurses keep hospitals and health care facilities going. Forget doctors..nurses do ALL of the hard work.

Boogie

Thanks, Boogie. I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders now that he is back home and safe. I really admire Tiffany, though. 15 months is a long time to be separated from your husband, especially with 6 year old triplets! Good luck with your move to Texas, Tiffany!

Guest Anonymous

I am a grandma now, but while growing up I was a Marine brat, moving every 15 months & it seems my dad was always overseas. Our family is very close & we made it through. While tough you'll make it too. I am so glad to hear your hubby's are safe & home.

Thank you, PinkSugar. We are very blessed that he was able to come home in time for the holidays. He should not have to deploy again since he is retiring in a year or so.

Guest Anonymous

My name is Christy, I am an admitted addict! I have a son named Cooper that is almost 3 and a husband Matt who works for the sherif's dept in our county. I work for a long term care pharmacy in the billing dept. Have sold many, many different brands, Salt City, Gold Canyon, Classic, etc. but I still go back to Sierra Mountain! They are wonderful! Hope to get to know you all!

Guest Anonymous

My name is Debbie. Most friends and family call me Deb. I have been married now for 30 years to the love of my life. We have 1 son, who is 23 now and still lives at home. He works full

time and also attends collage. I am a housewife now, but I did work almost 20 for a photography company. I live in Tennessee, and have lived her all my life.

I didn't become a (Candlefreak) until about 3 years ago. I had been, however, using the simmer

pots alot with the Florasense liquid potpourri for several years. Mostly apples & cinnamon, or mulberry. The candle addiction happened when I had purchased a couple of YC votives in a card shop in the mall. It was YC Christmas Eve. (After that day, I never looked at candles in the same way again!) LOL!! Now the tarts, or the melts addiction started with the (enablers) on the Q forum. Yall know who you are! LOL ! I do love those tarts!

Have a great everyone,

Deb

Guest Anonymous

Thanks everyone. It is really nice to have my husband home. Triplets are hard, but I have never known anything else. We are trying to adjust to having Daddy back home. I just finished packing all my candles the other night for the move-CRAZY!! I never realized how many I had until I had to pack them. I went all over the house hunting for them. I just kept finding them and finding them. ;)

Guest Anonymous

What's crackin', guys? My name is Meghan and I am a 27-year old mother of a two-year old devil named Tyson. I work in HR and when not pleasuring my candle addiction, I am working on finishing my B.B.A. in Business Management, (i.e. I want more money to buy more candles and I know a degree will help me with that).

Thanks to you all, I have spent thousands on lots of candle places. My favorites include Nene's (I LOVE her..we have become pals, lol), Candles from the Keeping Room (Carol is my homie as well) and Candles By Victoria. I have also tried Rosegirls and I am waiting on an order from Spotted Hog and Bella's Candles and Tarts.

I've also found a candle place not mentioned here called Irish Hummingbird. Their candles can burn weird, but the throw is pretty good. Their tarts are GREAT. I have one tart burning now in the kitchen that is COMPLETELY outdoing two or three tarts from another place that I have burning in my living room.

I look forward to getting more advice on you all to better contribute to my addiction!!

Guest Anonymous

Hey everyone! My name is Gina and I am a 23 year old law school student. I am half way through the three year program then I get to sit for the bar, oh joy!!! I am engaged to my high school sweetheart and we're planning our Walt Disney World Wedding, it's super exciting. I am from Connecticut, I have lived here all my life, but hope to move out of the state sometime in the near future.

I am OBSESSED with tarts. Sure we all love the classic Yankee Candle tarts but the e-vendors are much more impressive to me and offer such unique scents that I personally feel Yankee can't even rival them. I will say though it certianly was fun driving to the Yankee Flag Ship store with my fiance last October to check out the goods.

My absolute favorite place to buy tarts from is Crosscreekcountrycandles.com. I have been buying from Deana for years now ever since I found her on ebay way back when. It's been a true pleasure to watch her business grow and to see the creation of her new website. I have tried other companies but I always go back to Deana, she's simply the best. She's an absolute sweetheart, her customer service is amazing, she's a great communitator and has become a great friend. I highly reccomend her products to all and hope you love them as much as I do.

My Crosscreek Country Candles Favorites:

Celtic Moonspice

Funnell Cake

White Cake

Mimosa Punch

Melonberry Tea

Clove

Winter Candy Apple

Peppermint Kisses

Fresh Laundry

Pink Sugar

and the list goes on and on and on.

I have also ordered a bit from Carol over at Candles from the Keeping Room. She has some unique scents that I have not really seen else where. She's got a great product as well but I wish she sold single tarts.... Here's some I love from her:

Dreama

Ginger Melon

Sun Moon and Stars

I recently ordered from Tuscadero's since I saw some good reviews here and I am very happy with the product and you simply cannot beat the prices. I ordered:

Bedford Falls

Natural Eculapytus

Juicy Couture

Black Magic

Nag Champa

Snozberry

Summer Sorbet

and Blue Sugar

I just got them yesterday and have only burned the Juicy couture but it's dead on and super strong, I am glad I ordered. I also got some freebies with my order which is always great and I got Vick's Vapor Rub, Exotic Coconut (awesome just like B&BW), Buttery Gingerbread and I think another one but it's downstairs so IDK what it was.

Hi! My name is Nancy and I live in SW Missouri. I am married and have one son. I am 56 and a total candle fanatic. I got started about 2 yrs ago with candles and have been into melts for over a year now. I get more for my money with them in my opinion. I am really enjoying reading the different tips, opinions and ideas you have all been posting. I have been looking up lots of the companies you mention that I hadn't heard of. I hope as time goes by we can all be candle friends and neighbors.