The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Sign in to follow this  
Candlefind

Candlefind Forum Fate

What do you think should be the fate of the Candlefind forum?   

7 members have voted

1. 1. Vote on the fate of the Candlefind forum. Select all that apply.

• I love the forum and do not want anything to change.
    • I like the forum but I would be ok with it downsizing.
    • If the forum went away, I would be devastated.
    • If the forum went away, I would just move on. It's been fun!
    • If the forum went away, I would like to have something else in its place.
    • What's a forum?
    • I couldn't care less what you do.
    • I have a suggestion to improve the forum. (Please comment below)
    • I think the forum has dwindled because...(Please comment below)

Hi, Candlefinders! 

I am creating this poll as I want to get your feedback and opinions on the fate of the Candlefind forum. We have a large number of members (almost 2500), but only a small portion that actively post on the forum. I do realize there are several visitors that we have that do not choose to actually post on the forum, so I am taking that into consideration as well. 

However, the time has come to make some important decisions. The forum has required upgraded software and that was accomplished last Fall. The licensing for this software was just renewed, so we are set for another year. 

As far as the look, feel, and functionality of the forum, the current theme is already out of date and does require an update. I can choose to update this theme or switch to a new theme. However, if the Candlefind forum is to continue to be an extension of the Candlefind website, it needs to be brought under the new branding (logo, colors, etc.). This, of course, means customization. 

There is also the reality that this forum consumes a lot of resources, contributing to my need to secure a virtual private server as opposed to shared hosting. 

Hence my current dilemma. Should I begin the process of theme upgrade and customization? How valuable is this forum for you as is? I realize that for those of you who do continue to post, the dialogue back/forth is more than just about what is scenting your homes. You obviously care about each other and have formed bonds. I do not want to be the wrecking ball that swung right through the party. However, I do need to make sure I'm making the best decisions for the resources that we have. 

Please do me a favor and vote in the poll. Feel free to comment below if you believe there are other factors that need to be considered. 

I don't know if everyone can see this reply, Cyn, but my two cents....I am one of the latecomers here.  I've only been posting since January 2018, which is pretty short compared to most everyone else.  I can tell you that the regular posters here have come to be my friends and this group means a lot to me.  I am very grateful to this forum for that.  

That said, I realize that we pretty much post in Scent of the Day and that's about it.  We may play a bit in the Games section but I realize we're not using all of the other sections, although I do like to go back and read some of the older comments from time to time.

Personally I think the board could probably be much smaller and we would be fine... But I hope it doesn't go away altogether.  Maybe the others will have some suggestions...

And one more thing... While we have been slow from time to time, I think the recent extreme slowness has been made worse by the corona virus.  At least for me I have been rattled and not as able to focus on my wax.

Thanks for asking and for keeping us alive here.  ❤️❤️❤️

Amyjo, 

Thanks for your input - it's much appreciated. I can tell you guys have a special relationship & I certainly don't want to disrupt that. 

I like your suggestion of a smaller forum. I think forums were a lot more popular (and useful) before Facebook groups became a thing. I, too, like looking back at the older information, but I think it might just be time to pare that down. I will certainly look at that over the next few weeks. 

I completely understand about the disruption with the pandemic. These are scary and uncertain times for sure. I am not looking at making any decisions immediately - I am thinking forward and making plans for a few months down the road. 

Thanks again for your input. Stay safe!