The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Candlefind

November's Bountiful Harvest of Scents

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! [smilie=th_wave]

Laurie - I hope your DH's and your visit to SC is a good one....safe travels! [smilie=th_snoopy]

Just cleaned out my wax melter for the first time (it takes more work than I expected, but not too badly I suppose for Yankee super hard paraffin). Tossed in another votive cut up into tarts. Let's see if YC Mulling Spices has a good throw!

DC - What method did U use to clean your melter bowl? If you're ever shopping at Can-Do candles, Donna has non-stick tart pans that are really great! :sHa_okay: I just put the tart in the tart pan and place that on the melter's heating plate. When cooled, most (not 100% soy) will pop right out ....easy peasy! How was YC's Mulling Spices candle? I luv'd that scent when they had it in tarts!

I'm melting YC's Autumn Wreath from my fall swap buddy....such a great scent! [smilie=th_slider_flirt] I hope everyone has a fun, peaceful, thankful day! Thanksgiving day became an official Federal holiday in the USA in 1863, when President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed a national day of "Thanksgiving and Praise to our beneficent Father who dwelleth in the Heavens". It seems like the meaning of the day has migrated...it was meant to be celebrated in our country as a day to count our blessings and spend time with family/friends....not about shopping. Just sayin. :soapbox:

DC - What method did U use to clean your melter bowl? If you're ever shopping at Can-Do candles, Donna has non-stick tart pans that are really great! :sHa_okay: I just put the tart in the tart pan and place that on the melter's heating plate. When cooled, most (not 100% soy) will pop right out ....easy peasy! How was YC's Mulling Spices candle? I luv'd that scent when they had it in tarts!

I used the freezer method to get the wax to harden, then GENTLY poked at the edges with a butter knife in order to get a loose spot. 99.9% of it popped right out in a big disc, and then I used one of those pan scrapers for non-stick coatings to get the little edge peelies out. Then a paper towel with hot water and a paper towel to dry it out and I was done! I think part of what took so long was that when I walked it over to the freezer, it lapped up the sides of the bowl a little bit and made a bunch of thin edge layers that I had to peel out.

Mulling Spices is good but I think the throw on this votive/tart is compromised by age. The wax had odd 'light' spots here and there where so much of the pigment had come off onto the plastic wrap.

It is a pretty good Thanksgiving scent considering I burned through all my pumpkin stuff already! [smilie=th_Skratta_Bankabordet]

I will look into getting some of those tins if I ever get through the stash enough to justify an order with Can-Do...or anyone else! [smilie=th_create]

I think part of what took so long was that when I walked it over to the freezer, it lapped up the sides of the bowl a little bit and made a bunch of thin edge layers that I had to peel out.

I pour the hot wax out into a container now, but used to use the freezer method. When I did, tho, I waited until the wax cooled in the bowl, then put it in the freezer. If the wax sloshed 4 U, it sounds like you're putting the hot wax/bowl in your freezer? IDK, but wonder about putting a hot melter bowl in the freezer, that it might crack...? [smilie=th_scratch] For those that use the freezer method, whatcha think? [smilie=th_thsignA]

I'm ending the day burning B&BW's Pumpkin Carving candle. [smilie=th_smilies-2] Hope everyone had a lovely day!

I didn't think of it cracking from the temperature change! [smilie=th_thanimeomega_emoticon However I did not notice it changing temps very fast because I was impatient as all get out and checked it about every 5 minutes and it took a while for the bowl itself to fully cool down. I will probably let it set to room temperature first though from now on. Better safe than sorry and ordering a backup bowl.

I have some of those silicon mini baking cups, can those be used to hold wax in the warmer? [smilie=th_235F35F32]

Hm, I might try it then! They're mini cups for bento boxes (Japanese decorative lunchboxes), so I might have to chop them up to fit inside the cups if they don't hold a full ounce each. I'm pretty sure they're oven-safe, if I recall correctly from long thrown away packaging. I checked the website I got them off but it doesn't say anything about the oven, but they are indeed microwave-safe on the listing, and some of the other silicon ones sold by the same people do state that they are oven-safe. I am under the impression that silicon is silicon and they should all be oven safe? [smilie=th_confused3]

I hope everyone had a Happy Thanksgiving! I was busy all day with two Thanksgiving events to go to (DH and I have big extended families). It was fun seeing everyone, especially since some of our relatives have not seen our 5-month old son, Dean. He was like a little hot potato being passed from person to person, hehe. biggrin.gif

Earlier today I melted Old Thyme Gathering from BGL (thanks CF buddy)!

Laurie, where in SC are you going? I always cool my meters to room temp before placing in the freezer. Then I let it come back to room temp before lighting again. Recent melts are Delightful Scents banana nut bread and can do pumpkin cornbread.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving! I was so full I felt like I was gonna pop! [smilie=th_thanimeomega_emoticon I have never been that full in my life and I didn't even eat "that" much.

Sweet, I agree with you completely! I have some nieces that had to leave Thanksgiving and go to work....ridiculous. :(

Laurie, hope you had a safe trip.

Didn't melt yesterday although my SIL had lots of terrific candles burning!

Today it's...

Pumpkin Gingerbread Ice Cream Sandwiches from Tara's

Upstairs it's Lavender Sugar Cookies from Beezy

Have a good one.

I have some of those silicon mini baking cups, can those be used to hold wax in the warmer?

DC - Yep, U can use those. [smilie=yes] Thanks to Debra for posting the link to a thread about that!

I have some nieces that had to leave Thanksgiving and go to work....ridiculous. :(

MaggieMae - That happened 2 us, 2. [smilie=th_sad-1] My nephew couldn't have dinner with us cuz he works in retail and had 2 go 2 work. Our local news had a story on this & said some New England states already have 'blue laws' that prohibit retail stores from opening early on Thanksgiving so most can have the holiday off 2 spend with friends/family. Now there's talk about bringing those blue laws 2 where I live. Looks like we're not the only ones that would like 2 C a change! :)

I'm burning B&BW's Spiced Apple Toddy. The snow (11 inches! ) that arrived on Tues/Wed was well timed....allowed 4 the roads 2 B cleared for holiday travelers, but still made it purdy to look at.

Good morning, everyone! Did anyone go out shopping today? I skip the Black Friday crowd and usually head to Target/Kohl's later in the morning (7/8 am) to see what's left. I got a few DVD's and a sweater- nothing huge! It was a quick trip with DS # 2 in tow. biggrin.gif

Today I'm melting Eggnog & Ice Cream from Ava's and Vanilla Sugar Puddin' from Tara's. th_slider_flirt.gif

No shopping for me today, at least not in person.

I'm melting YC Balsam & Cedar, as part of my mission to test a bunch of Yankee Christmas scents before the semi-annual sale. This one has a very slight perfume-y note to it -- probably the juniper. Not a must-have for me, but nice.

YC's Balsam and Cedar was our favorite tree scent from YC when I and BF went on a sniffing trip last week (also in order to make informed decisions at the SAS [smilie=th_thlaughter] )

Isn't it funny how all our noses detect notes of a scent differently?

Think I'm about to switch my YC Mulling Spices because I get no scent until I'm within a foot of the melter! I don't think I'll be buying YC votives from anyone but them, since it seems I got some very old ones.

Hey...went out ONLY to get a new Christmas tree...one that is easy to put up and already lit (boy, I must be getting old)...found a real pretty one. Went in thinking I was gonna spend 40 bucks....came out after spending 190. [smilie=th_thanimeomega_emoticon I think this BF thing is a scam...I think they raise the price and then give you 50% off. LOL

Melting my Tiffany's loaf...Winter Dreams & Sugar Cookie......mmmmmm.... [smilie=th_slider_flirt]

Hi everyone. Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving. I went shopping today with my Mom, and 2 Aunts. We just go to have fun, and eat out lunch. Great time today.

I hope everyone had a good turkey day!

Instead of shopping today I did six loads of laundry--the towels and sheets just seem to multiply in the sorting basket! [smilie=th_rk01_lavatricefare] I might venture out tomorrow to check out the sales at B&BW and YC.

Just started up B&BW Winter. Love this one and must get more. [smilie=th_slider_flirt]

Hey...went out ONLY to get a new Christmas tree...one that is easy to put up and already lit (boy, I must be getting old)...found a real pretty one. Went in thinking I was gonna spend 40 bucks....came out after spending 190. [smilie=th_thanimeomega_emoticon I think this BF thing is a scam...I think they raise the price and then give you 50% off. LOL

MaggieMae - Too funny - can't even buy a real tree for $40 anymore! :D I think ya done good - that was a pretty good price for a quality pre-lit tree.

I'm melting Nene's Pumpkin Cornbread....just ok for my nose, not my fave. dry.gif

I am still pulling out the OOB vendor tarts that I have been hoarding. Tonight it is Candles, Melts and More - Spicy Apples and Peaches.

Only one tart left from her. :crysmiley1:

Tonight during our Thanksgiving party # 3, I burned Be Thankful from YC and Pumpkin Pie from PI- seemed appropriate for the occasion! wink.gif

Now I'm burning Marshmallow Fireside from B&BW as I relax in bed. I love this scent! It might be a little strong for my bedroom, though. huh.gif