The forum will be undergoing a major software upgrade on Saturday, November 30th, time TBD. Hopefully, there will be minimal disruptions with this process. Stay tuned for any additional updates.

Thanks & Happy Thanksgiving!

Sign in to follow this  
cmarie

Moving: What Makes Scents

5 members have voted

1. 1. Which moving plan is best?

• Just wait until January and melt a bunch of tarts for your scent fix. You'll appreciate having an easier move.
    • Place your candle order a few days before you move. That way the shipment will "meet" you at your new place and you'll have fun mail to look forward to.
    • Oh, just order them now and deal with it when it's time to pack. It's worth it to have a Christmas candle for the day after Thanksgiving!
    • Other -- suggestion described in comments

I have a bit of a candle quandary, friends! DH and I are moving halfway across the country in mid-December. I have been in the process of using stuff up in my candle collection for quite some time -- haven't made a multiple-candle purchase in FOREVER. I'm down to two large YC jars, one med YC jar, a couple little 8-oz candles, and about 8 votives. Everything except the votives is over halfway burned up, and aside from tarts/tealights, that's all I have in my entire collection.

Finally, it's relevant to mention that NONE of these scents are autumn OR winter category. In the past year or so, I have gravitated more toward melting tarts than burning candles, but I ALWAYS need a Christmas-tree-scented candle every holiday season. But by the time we arrive at our new place (Dec 12 or thereabouts), I won't have time to order a candle, have it arrive and get my scent fix for the full holiday season. Plus we will probably be flying to visit family later in the month, so I won't really have waxies at all over Christmas itself.

So, my candle buddies, what should I do? I want to order two great big 26-oz candles from Pure Integrity (with a few clamshells), but it would be nice not to have to pack them and move them when the time comes. I can't decide whether to get them now and enjoy them, or wait until after we move. Suggestions?

You know, my DH scoffed when I told him I had posted my question here. Kind of a "well what do you expect THEM to say?" type of reaction. [smilie=th_LA839B1117]

WOW, I just found the PERFECT solution!

A friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go to the Yankee store with her (we live in the same town as one of the flagships), so we went. I knew that I had no fall candles and no winter candles, but didn't want to move a ton of them later on. At the same time it would be sad to go to the store and not be able to buy anything.

So we both made a wax works make-your-own layered candle!!!!!! This is PERFECT because I made a Christmas-tree layer on the bottom, a pumpkin layer for fall above that, and a skinny blue "wildcard scent" layer on top (Colonial Home, or Colonial Hearth, or something...which is actually just Home Sweet Home renamed and in a different color -- my nose is 100% sure). One thing I don't understand about the whole make-your-own-candle thing at Yankee is that the scents never match up with the ones they sell in jars. So good luck finding Autumn Wreath or Vanilla Lime at the candle-making station. I forget the names of the scents I used because they're different from the usual names, but we determined that the Christmas tree one is Mistletoe.

Anyway, this is perfect because I can have my fall and winter scents in one medium jar, which I can hope to burn most or all the way through by the time we leave town. SCORE!!!!!

[smilie=th_aola] :confettistars:

Perfect timing! I was just on YC's FB page yesterday and saw the pics from the Village Festival in Williamsburg & wondered if U went. I'm so glad to hear U did! [smilie=th_ecd36868] Your candle sounds awesome! What was the '2012 exclusive collector jar' like?

If memory serves, the collector jar had a very picturesque image of Williamsburg on it, with an old-timey-looking Santa off to the side. The jars were red and the scent was Sparkling Cinnamon. Very pretty overall.

Given that I'm moving away, this would be a great way to remember Williamsburg, but I want to buy candles for what they are instead of the sticker that's on the jar. Maybe I can find a Christmas ornament or something like that...something that won't get used up like a candle would.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.