The software upgrade has been completed. We've lost some of our personalizations, but otherwise the forum seems to be functioning properly. If there are any problems, please contact us to let us know. (admin at candlefind dot com). 

Thanks & Merry Christmas!

Sign in to follow this  

newbie hello

Hello all. My name is Lisa and I am somewhat new to candle making - though a veteran at burning them! My father owned a candle store for many years. I never helped much in the business (except to burn the candles), though now I wished I had. He is now retired and he has passed down most of his supplies and molds to me. I decided to delve more into candle making, and maybe start a business someday down the road. I am reading a lot of books and experimenting. I would like to join the community, share my experiences, and make new candle friends.

One question that I can't seem to find an answer to regards wick sizes. I bought some 36-24-24 wicks for votives and wonder what the numbers mean. The wicks are 3" long so I assume that 36 refers to the length and one of the 24 refers to the ply, but which one and what does the other 24 refer to? Can anyone clarify this for me? I look forward to visiting with you all! Thanks.

[smilie=th_e16] [smilie=th_we0081]

Hi Lisa,

Unfortunately I can't help you with your question but welcome to the group!!!

[smilie=th_welcome]

Hi Lisa :D WELCOME!

I don't know the answer to your question but I collected this info online:

Q ~ What do the three sets of numbers on the wicks mean? A ~ The first number "44" is the thickness of the wick. The bigger this number, the thicker the wick. The second number "24" is coded for the speed of which the string (all wicks start out with very thin string) goes thru the wicking machine gears. The faster it goes thru the machine the tighter the wick is wicked, which should slow the wick from burning too fast. The last number "18" is a code for the temperature of the wax as the string (wick) goes thru the various gears. This temperature varies according to the previous numbers.

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to Candlefind! [smilie=th_wave]

Just so you know... this forum is for candle consumers - not candle makers. We do have a Vendor section too once you start your company and have an online store. Craftserver would probably be a better forum for you if you wanted to chat with other candle makers. If you want to talk wax and companies and shopping shopping shopping for wax.... this definitely be the place to chat. [smilie=snoopy]

Welcome Lisa! [smilie=th_Welcome_from_the_Whol I'm another that has no advice to offer, but hope you jump in with both feet and enjoy!

Hello Lisa, Welcome. I am new as well. I am sorry I can't answer your question. Have you tried asking the supplier?

Good luck to you.