How to Keep Track of Your Wax for the organizationally-impaired

#1 User is offline   Nautilique 

• Certified scent expert!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationFL PanHandle

Posted 13 February 2011 - 11:56 PM

How do you keep track of your wax?
Which scents you got from who and how you liked them.
I have read a couple of posts later where people have alluded to "spreadsheets" or some such that makes me think they are well organized, wax-melting machines!
Since I can barely remember my name by the end of the day.
And forget about remembering which "Ocean Mist" melted/threw best and where did I get it.
Can someone post a quick tutorial or at least some helpful hints on what works for keeping track?
It would surely be helpful for anyone out there who is organizationally-impaired.
(that'd be ME)
[smilie=th_paper-bag]

LAURIE
"Be the change you want to see in the world" . . Mahatma Gandhi

#2 User is offline   Juletones 

• The Mod Squad
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 February 2011 - 07:26 PM

I do just about everything on the computer, but for some reason when it comes to scents, I jot notes down by hand in a journal. It's a total mish mash.

I tried to make a spreadsheet once but didn't have the right software for it so I gave up.

<------ interested on tips also.

Jules

#3 User is offline   Stardustgirl 

• Wax Princess
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:15 AM

I've no clue how to fiddle with spreadsheets. I jot down notes in TextEdit (probably NotePad for the PC crowd) but that's it. No fancy numbers ratings or anything, just like / dislike / OMGgottahavemoreNOW. That kind of thing.

#4 User is offline   cyngreen2 

• Admin
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationDown in the Delta

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:19 AM

I like spreadsheets to keep track. Each company has a page (tabs on the bottom by default, I believe). Then first column is scent name. I discovered I can right click in that column and add a sticky note - that's where I copy/paste scent descriptions. Then when my mouse hovers over the scent name, the description pops up. Next 3 columns are very simple - yes, no, maybe. I have a bigger column after that for comments. If it's a must-have-to-die-for-scent then I highlight the row with that scent name and choose red font. That makes it easier to review on the fly.

I've gotten bad about updating it lately. And I need to have separate spreadsheets, for like companies A-L then M-Z or something like that. There are becoming too many tabs at the bottom to be easily manageable.
"Politeness is to human nature what warmth is to wax. " ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Cyn
cyngreen@candlefind.com

#5 User is offline   Nautilique 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationFL PanHandle

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:35 AM

View Postcyngreen2, on 16 February 2011 - 05:19 AM, said:

I like spreadsheets to keep track. Each company has a page (tabs on the bottom by default, I believe). Then first column is scent name. I discovered I can right click in that column and add a sticky note - that's where I copy/paste scent descriptions. Then when my mouse hovers over the scent name, the description pops up. Next 3 columns are very simple - yes, no, maybe. I have a bigger column after that for comments. If it's a must-have-to-die-for-scent then I highlight the row with that scent name and choose red font. That makes it easier to review on the fly.

I've gotten bad about updating it lately. And I need to have separate spreadsheets, for like companies A-L then M-Z or something like that. There are becoming too many tabs at the bottom to be easily manageable.

That sounds awesome, Cyn! Do you remember off hand what program you use? I have Windows with Office (Excel, Word, etc)
:mellow:

LAURIE

#6 User is offline   cyngreen2 

• Admin

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:51 AM

View PostNautilique, on 16 February 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

That sounds awesome, Cyn! Do you remember off hand what program you use? I have Windows with Office (Excel, Word, etc)
:mellow:

Laurie, I did not purchase Office with my current laptop. I am using a free office suite called Open Office. Their spreadsheet program is called Calc. Here's that website: http://www.openoffice.org/ . Excel would be perfect!

Cyn
cyngreen@candlefind.com

#7 User is offline   Nautilique 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationFL PanHandle

Posted 16 February 2011 - 10:54 AM

View Postcyngreen2, on 16 February 2011 - 10:51 AM, said:

Laurie, I did not purchase Office with my current laptop. I am using a free office suite called Open Office. Their spreadsheet program is called Calc. Here's that website: http://www.openoffice.org/ . Excel would be perfect!

[smilie=th_fabulous1]
Thanks for the tip. I've now got "chart tarts" on my ToDo list!
:thwetkissf:

LAURIE

#8 User is offline   MaggieMae 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Mod Squad

Posted 16 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

For companies I order from a lot, I make a copy of their fragrance listings and keep them in a "CANDLE binder". As I melt I put down comments and "Star ratings". For new to me companies, I just peel off the sticky name from the cup, clam or scallop and repaste it on a sheet and keep it in the front of the binder until I decide if it's gonna be a regular go to vendor. If so, I copy the fragrance listing and start keeping track....LSC went straight to fragrance listing after the first melt!

#9 User is offline   debra99 

• The Mod Squad
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:59 AM

I also use the notebook style of recording. Each vendor I order from has a page with the scents listed (the invoice, usually). I make a note beside the scent and rate 1-5. I highlight the super ones that I must order again!

#10 User is offline   cmarie 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 February 2011 - 05:06 AM

Cyn, your method sounds amazing! I have just a plain text list (not sorted by vendor, scent or ANYTHING) and then I can search for terms within it if I'm looking for something specific. But your way sounds far superior! I'll have to start one of those when I get back from my trip!
Christy

#11 User is offline   PuppyLove 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:44 PM

I have a page for each vendor. At the top is the company name, how much I spent, how much shipping was, the type and size of shipping box and whether I'll be able to fit more in the box next time. [smilie=th_sml29]

I list the scents alphabetically and in black. As I use them, I change it to either red (for YES, must get more!) or green (meh). It should be the opposite color code, I know. Too late now though. I add a comment for the reds and the ones I'm crazy for get put in bold with an asterisk to draw my attention for the next time I order.

I also keep lists of vendors I haven't tried but am interested in. These are just plain text, each list having the scents I'm attracted to in alphabetical order.

Gail
"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other." -Mother Theresa

#12 User is offline   Steph 

• Pip

Posted 17 February 2011 - 04:00 PM

I need to do some type of spreadsheet. That sounds like an awesome idea.

#13 User is offline   Cat01 

• Scent Diva
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:34 AM

Here's something funny about me-I never keep track anymore...I used to, but just haven't for a while. I definitely remember which ones I don't care for, and which ones I love-and I guess its good enough for me. Maybe I am just getting lazy! Lol!

#14 User is offline   Nautilique 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationFL PanHandle

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:53 AM

View PostCat01, on 18 February 2011 - 12:34 AM, said:

Here's something funny about me-I never keep track anymore...I used to, but just haven't for a while. I definitely remember which ones I don't care for, and which ones I love-and I guess its good enough for me. Maybe I am just getting lazy! Lol!

I'm impressed!
My memory is waaaayyyyy to gone to do that!
I'd be re-buying the same things whether I liked them or not just because they sounded good once.
[smilie=th_5337c1ad]

LAURIE

#15 User is offline   Cat01 

• Scent Diva
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:11 PM

Not that impressive-I have bought stuff and went-"Oh yeah, that one stinks!!" I just tend to remember the really good ones, and make sure they are in my order. Or the really bad ones, like-ummm-bacon... [smilie=th_puke]

#16 User is offline   TartOverload 

• Scent-addict - in training
  • PipPip

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:39 AM

I use a spreadsheet :) I have a different page for each company. And they are set up like this, for example my YC page
Scent | Large Jars | Medium Jars | Small Jars | Tumbler | Unused |

I keep track of my jars, my tarts and votives, my tarts from other companies, things that I've bought and am waiting on, and I have a wish/want list page too :) With a list of scents I want to try from certain companies. I have a long list from Hayley's, Can-do, LOL and CFTKR that I can not wait to order!

Oh! And candles/tarts I don't like, I make the box red. Ones that I really like are green. And ones that are just okay are orange :) That way I can keep track of the ones I've tried!

This post has been edited by Syribo: 20 February 2011 - 03:40 AM

Emilie

#17 User is offline   Nautilique 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationFL PanHandle

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:49 AM

You guys are so smart and well-organized!
I started a Tart Chart too.
I have columns, and hopefully, when I'm finished I'll be able to sort (or re-sort) them however I wish.
I did my columns like this:
NAME OF SCENT
VENDOR
(then I rated 1-5) Scent Rating
Strength (Throw)
Lasts (how long)
Where I used it (what room)
Which melter (so I know what wattage)
and then I made a column for Comments.
So hopefully, when I get all my scratch pad notes inputted, I can sort by either Vendor, or name of scent, or 5 star scents, etc.
How very scientific! lol
Thanks for all the great suggestions, Everyone!

This post has been edited by Nautilique: 20 February 2011 - 03:49 AM

LAURIE

#18 User is offline   cyngreen2 

• Admin

Posted 20 February 2011 - 03:58 PM

Syribo, your spreadsheet system sounds very detailed! [smilie=th_thumbs20up]

That sounds like a good system you've set up, Laurie. Another plus about the spreadsheet system is you can search across sheets. So if you can't remember exactly who had the very best peanut butter cookie scent you liked, you can run a search and find just what you're looking for. And the sorting capability is nice, too.

Have fun and let us know how it works for you!

Cyn
cyngreen@candlefind.com

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users