• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wax on a budget?

#1 User is offline   momuvtwo 

• Scent-addict - in training
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:21 PM

If you are on a tight budget but still want to enjoy wax, what are your strategies besides locking down altogether? (i.e. do you buy candles vs. tarts, bulk tarts in fewer scents vs. singles, buying local vs. online to save shipping, limit monthly orders, stick only to certain vendors, etc.?) Looking forward to hearing how some of you maximize your wax purchases without breaking the bank (is that even possible??)

#2 User is offline   candlefan 

• Scent Junkie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationColorado

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

My family often goes out to the local Air Force Base to shop at the commissary and base exchange. The base exchange just happens to carry Yankee Candles at a discounted price. I will pick out one or two tarts in a favorite or new scent to buy with our purchases, and that's usually enough to tide me over. [smilie=th_i-m_so_happy]

#3 User is offline   PuppyLove 

• Certified scent expert!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 19 March 2010 - 04:48 PM

SUCH an excellent question, Mom. [smilie=th_i-m_so_happy]

I really watch for, and only shop, sales. By far, my favorite way to buy is single tarts, but once in awhile I'll buy clamshells if they're what's on sale. Sometimes I'll buy locally when I can use a coupon or if a store is having a good sale, but I much prefer the huge selection and high quality of some of the small online vendors.

It's amazing how much you can save if you keep track of sales, sign up for newsletters, become a Facebook fan, etc. For example, Southern Star Scents just had a lovely sale that, when I did the math, was a savings of 40% on scent shots. Buying in groups of 7, I ended up paying 72 cents for a normally priced $1.25 scent shot. The shipping was reduced too. Now that's a significant savings!

HTH,

Gail
"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other." -Mother Theresa

#4 User is offline   cmarie 

• Certified scent expert!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2010 - 10:29 PM

I agree with Gail, look for the sales. Also, some vendors offer free shipping if you spend a certain amount there. This often means spending a big chunk of money in one place which you may not be looking to do, but if you can get some of the stuff as gifts for others, etc. it can help to do most of your shopping in one purchase from a single vendor. Be sure to sign up for newsletters whenever possible and check the sales thread here at CF.
Christy

#5 User is offline   cheryl allen 

• Scent addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2010 - 06:07 PM

Also, just cutting a tart in half will help. Some tarts are 2 full oz. when others are 1. You get 2 for the price of 1. And, it all depends on how long the scent lasts. Some burners melt hotter and faster etc. and therefore you change more.

Cheryl
1/waxed out mom

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users