Candlefind Forum: Moving: What Makes Scents - Candlefind Forum

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Moving: What Makes Scents

Poll: Moving: What Makes Scents (5 member(s) have cast votes)

Which moving plan is best?

1. Just wait until January and melt a bunch of tarts for your scent fix. You'll appreciate having an easier move. (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

2. Place your candle order a few days before you move. That way the shipment will "meet" you at your new place and you'll have fun mail to look forward to. (3 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

3. Oh, just order them now and deal with it when it's time to pack. It's worth it to have a Christmas candle for the day after Thanksgiving! (1 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Other -- suggestion described in comments (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   cmarie 

• Certified scent expert!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

I have a bit of a candle quandary, friends! DH and I are moving halfway across the country in mid-December. I have been in the process of using stuff up in my candle collection for quite some time -- haven't made a multiple-candle purchase in FOREVER. I'm down to two large YC jars, one med YC jar, a couple little 8-oz candles, and about 8 votives. Everything except the votives is over halfway burned up, and aside from tarts/tealights, that's all I have in my entire collection.

Finally, it's relevant to mention that NONE of these scents are autumn OR winter category. In the past year or so, I have gravitated more toward melting tarts than burning candles, but I ALWAYS need a Christmas-tree-scented candle every holiday season. But by the time we arrive at our new place (Dec 12 or thereabouts), I won't have time to order a candle, have it arrive and get my scent fix for the full holiday season. Plus we will probably be flying to visit family later in the month, so I won't really have waxies at all over Christmas itself.

So, my candle buddies, what should I do? I want to order two great big 26-oz candles from Pure Integrity (with a few clamshells), but it would be nice not to have to pack them and move them when the time comes. I can't decide whether to get them now and enjoy them, or wait until after we move. Suggestions?

This post has been edited by cmarie: 27 September 2012 - 04:42 PM

Christy

#2 User is offline   MaggieMae 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Mod Squad

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:45 PM

You know...as an admitted "wax addict" I would have to say..."Buy those candles and enjoy them for the holidays!" [smilie=th_aa17]

#3 User is offline   cmarie 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:52 AM

You know, my DH scoffed when I told him I had posted my question here. Kind of a "well what do you expect THEM to say?" type of reaction. [smilie=th_LA839B1117]
Christy

#4 User is offline   candlelove 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:35 PM

Christy-Just get them and enjoy them. What is not finished you can pack. Two more candles candles can still fit in that box. [smilie=th_WooHooRainbowWaveJack
Michele

#5 User is offline   cmarie 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:10 AM

WOW, I just found the PERFECT solution!

A friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go to the Yankee store with her (we live in the same town as one of the flagships), so we went. I knew that I had no fall candles and no winter candles, but didn't want to move a ton of them later on. At the same time it would be sad to go to the store and not be able to buy anything.

So we both made a wax works make-your-own layered candle!!!!!! This is PERFECT because I made a Christmas-tree layer on the bottom, a pumpkin layer for fall above that, and a skinny blue "wildcard scent" layer on top (Colonial Home, or Colonial Hearth, or something...which is actually just Home Sweet Home renamed and in a different color -- my nose is 100% sure). One thing I don't understand about the whole make-your-own-candle thing at Yankee is that the scents never match up with the ones they sell in jars. So good luck finding Autumn Wreath or Vanilla Lime at the candle-making station. I forget the names of the scents I used because they're different from the usual names, but we determined that the Christmas tree one is Mistletoe.

Anyway, this is perfect because I can have my fall and winter scents in one medium jar, which I can hope to burn most or all the way through by the time we leave town. SCORE!!!!!

[smilie=th_aola] :confettistars:

This post has been edited by cmarie: 30 September 2012 - 03:52 AM

Christy

#6 User is offline   MaggieMae 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

[smilie=th_WooHooRainbowWaveJack

#7 User is offline   sweet&spiceygrl 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2012 - 01:48 PM

Perfect timing! I was just on YC's FB page yesterday and saw the pics from the Village Festival in Williamsburg & wondered if U went. I'm so glad to hear U did! [smilie=th_ecd36868] Your candle sounds awesome! What was the '2012 exclusive collector jar' like?
Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived.
~Helen Keller~

#8 User is offline   cmarie 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2012 - 02:51 PM

If memory serves, the collector jar had a very picturesque image of Williamsburg on it, with an old-timey-looking Santa off to the side. The jars were red and the scent was Sparkling Cinnamon. Very pretty overall.

Given that I'm moving away, this would be a great way to remember Williamsburg, but I want to buy candles for what they are instead of the sticker that's on the jar. Maybe I can find a Christmas ornament or something like that...something that won't get used up like a candle would.
Christy

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users