• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do bakery scents cause cravings?

#1 User is offline   cmarie 

• Certified scent expert!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 May 2012 - 04:30 PM

Lately I have been trying to learn more about healthy eating, with hopes of putting some of it into practice for both DH and myself. (We have room for improvement in our nutrition.) One of the things I'm thinking about is trying to decrease my/our sugar intake. I've heard that if you avoid refined sugars for about 30 days that you can "reset" your tolerance for sweetness.

Bakery scent lovers, do any of you find that after smelling yummy scents for a while, you're tempted to eat something sweet? Maybe not the exact scent/treat you were smelling, but some kind of sugary something? Sometimes when I melt one of my very favorite scents, I find myself looking around for something to indulge in. Just curious to know what some of you have experienced! Thanks!
Christy

#2 User is offline   MaggieMae 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Mod Squad

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

View Postcmarie, on 15 May 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

Lately I have been trying to learn more about healthy eating, with hopes of putting some of it into practice for both DH and myself. (We have room for improvement in our nutrition.) One of the things I'm thinking about is trying to decrease my/our sugar intake. I've heard that if you avoid refined sugars for about 30 days that you can "reset" your tolerance for sweetness.

Bakery scent lovers, do any of you find that after smelling yummy scents for a while, you're tempted to eat something sweet? Maybe not the exact scent/treat you were smelling, but some kind of sugary something? Sometimes when I melt one of my very favorite scents, I find myself looking around for something to indulge in. Just curious to know what some of you have experienced! Thanks!

Christy..I was on a No Sugar "Diet" for 6 months on 2 different occasions. I still melted by bakery wax and it didn't seem to have any effect on me, but I have never felt hungry from smelling tarts. Good luck!!

#3 User is offline   shortygal201 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationNew England

Posted 15 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

I am melting a bakery scent probably 97% of the time lol. I don't find myself having regular cravings or wanting to eat more because of it. There has been a time or two where a tart was so realistic that in that moment the food would have sounded great to me. Overall, no difference with cravings or anything :)
"Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
Robert Brault

#4 User is offline   Juletones 

• The Mod Squad
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 15 May 2012 - 07:49 PM

Once in a while I crave what I'm melting. Some of those bakery scents are so realistic. Fortunately, I don't keep many sweets in the house, and thank goodness I don't know how to make creme brulee. Posted Image
Jules

#5 User is offline   sweet&spiceygrl 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Mod Squad

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:37 PM

I don't find myself getting any food cravings when melting bakery scents either. I've read that anything you do for 30 days helps form a new 'habit'. Years ago I put sugar in my coffee and one day decided to stop doing that. Now, I can't drink coffee that has sugar in it. [smilie=th_puke] It's all in what we get used to, I think. It's pretty much as simple as 'what you don't feed....dies'. Don't feed your body something you don't want it to have & your flesh may have a hissy fit for a while (pretty much guaranteed :lol: ), but, hey....who's the boss here?? hint... you are. [smilie=th_23_32_7]
Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived.
~Helen Keller~

#6 User is offline   NMhoneybear 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:21 AM

I never get cravings for sweet stuff and that's mainly what I melt. I love my bakery scents! [smilie=th_i-m_so_happy]

#7 User is offline   roserent 

• Scent Junkie
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

I'm finding that I actually don't want to eat sweets when I burn bakery scents! [smilie=th_smiley_emoticons_hurr

#8 User is offline   candlefan 

• Scent Junkie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationColorado

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:46 PM

Interestingly, melting sweet bakery and food scents actually seems to ward off my cravings for the actual foods (so long as I am not hungry otherwise.) I sort of "experience" the food through the scent, which is a big part of the eating experience, and I find that is often enough to satisfy me.

Now, my husband on the other hand says all those delicious aromas drive him straight to the kitchen in search of yummy treats!

#9 User is offline   SpookyTea 

• Pip

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:28 PM

View Postcandlefan, on 18 May 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

Interestingly, melting sweet bakery and food scents actually seems to ward off my cravings for the actual foods (so long as I am not hungry otherwise.) I sort of "experience" the food through the scent, which is a big part of the eating experience, and I find that is often enough to satisfy me.

Now, my husband on the other hand says all those delicious aromas drive him straight to the kitchen in search of yummy treats!

Same with me, it solves my desire for a 'sugar fix' - but my hubby can't stand bakery scents :( :( so I have to burn them during the day when he's not home. Wish I could in the evening to control my urge to snack on something sweet late at night!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users