• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Order Timeline

#1 User is offline   cmarie 

• Certified scent expert!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

I recently got the idea to TRY to organize my tarts chronologically (or at least be aware of which ones are the oldest so I can use them up). To do this, I did some searches in my email and compiled a timeline of *most* of my wax orders since my first one from Nene's in November 2008. (I joined CF the previous month, so that didn't take long, haha.)

I noticed a weird pattern in the timeline -- I tend to order a lot in the spring (March/April/May). This has been consistent over the past 3 years. Gearing up for those hot summer months, I guess. Good thing it's almost time for ordering season, haha!

My first targets: anything from that first Nene's order, anything from my Spotted Hog winter sampler (which I just realized is from 2008 also -- yikes!), and a stray AMS freebie from Dec '08. And any Everyday Whims tarts I run across, but those might be gone.

Next after that will be GHBT (I've already been making an effort with all of those, setting them aside whenever I see them) and LOL, both from April of '09. (In the meantime I want to continue working through some much more recent LSC stuff due to messy containers.)

Maybe this strategy will help me order less! Fat chance... [smilie=th_pardon]
Christy

#2 User is offline   Juletones 

• The Mod Squad
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:06 AM

Great effort. I'm still chuckling over "ordering season". Posted Image
Jules

#3 User is offline   Aria 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

Good idea Christy! Maybe you will find some fun treasures while you are at it. You must be very organized. I don't keep emails from orders after I have received the order. I tend to use up my tarts and don't have any that are over a year old...I'm pretty sure. At one time, I had a "reject" box of tarts. These were tarts where I just didn't care for the cold sniff, but saved them to melt in case I changed my mind. I eventually tossed the entire box out since I just couldn't bring myself to melt something that I didn't like. I guess I am a tart snob!!!!

Good luck girlie!!!!

#4 User is offline   cmarie 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:52 AM

View PostAria, on 10 February 2012 - 07:31 PM, said:

You must be very organized.

[smilie=th_lol22]

I'll be darned if that isn't the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

If you always melt everything within a year, Aria, then you are FAR more organized (or disciplined) than I. My search is bound to reveal some 3-1/2-year-old tarts and there is just no need for that.

I'm looking forward to seeing what turns up!
Christy

#5 User is offline   sweet&spiceygrl 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Mod Squad

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:47 PM

I find that I order more in the autumn. Those are the scents I like the most. That, and I probably have a little of the 'squirrel storing up acorns for the winter' syndrome. ;) I'm OC enuf that I keep my receipts, too, so know when/what I ordered. I need to do some tart organizing, too & pull my elderly tarts and use them up, too. Thanks for inspiring me Christy! [smilie=th_clap1]
Smell is a potent wizard that transports you across thousands of miles and all the years you have lived.
~Helen Keller~

#6 User is offline   cmarie 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

Sweet, I think I do the "storing up for the winter" thing too, except I never order wax in hot weather, so for me, wax "winter" is actually summer, haha.

Well, here's the epic saga of my organizing. During a trip to Target I got some color-coded stickers to permanently keep track of how old my various tarts were. I put my orders into groups for color coding (for example, April/May of 2010 was pink). Pretty soon I figured I could save a lot of stickers and work by just putting the orders into bags within their scent category. So for example, all of my fruity Can-Do's are in one bag with a big green sticker on it. For other tarts I did put a sticker on each one, it just depended on the situation.

The oldest tarts I found included a cinnamon roll scent from Nene's (Nov. 2008) and a couple Everyday Whims ones. I also have a plastic container designated especially for those very oldest ones, since they have to be melted next. (I called them "emergency" tarts, and DH would giggle whenever I said "uh oh, EMERGENCY" and threw a really old one in the bin.) This container also got a lot of my swapped tarts, since I can't look those up and find out how old they are. The tricky part is that the so-called "emergency" container now holds well over a month's worth of tarts.

Now my bakery, fruit, and floral collections are MUCH more organized because vendors are together (this wasn't true previously) and the oldest stuff is on top. I also rearranged my candles on their shelving unit and am much more motivated to use those up. (Got my eye on Pure Integrity for a future restock, but I gotta earn it first.)

I've had great fun doing this and am relieved to have some sense of order in place for future tart selections. It makes me realize what a big stash I've accumulated. Sometime soon I'm going to dive in for some Spotted Hog, but that'll probably be it for a while. Those of you with big stashes, I highly recommend doing this sort of thing to make sure some of your oldest tarts aren't getting overlooked. It feels great to have things more organized. Hooray!!

[smilie=th_c2e41937] [smilie=th_51991986]
Christy

#7 User is offline   Aria 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:16 PM

View Postcmarie, on 11 February 2012 - 04:52 AM, said:

[smilie=th_lol22]

I'll be darned if that isn't the funniest thing I've heard in a while.

If you always melt everything within a year, Aria, then you are FAR more organized (or disciplined) than I. My search is bound to reveal some 3-1/2-year-old tarts and there is just no need for that.

I'm looking forward to seeing what turns up!

Posted ImagePosted Image Me? Organized??? Posted ImagePosted Image Not too sure about the organized thing, but if I accumulate too much, it just makes me cringe. I'd say the oldest tarts I have are some fruity scents from last summer. I also have a small amount of tarts left from this past fall. Like I said, I used to have that "reject" box that probably had some pretty elderly tarts in in, but they were scents I just didn't care for on cold sniff. That box got tossed...I know, that is bad, but I just never thought I'd melt them. I'd say there was probably 50-60 tarts in it. I do have a few CBV jars that might be over a year old.

Good idea with the color coded stickers! See...you are organized!!!! Posted Image

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users