Candlefind Forum: is there a shelf life on wax tarts? - Candlefind Forum

Beckett Media, LLC

Shop our top selling fragrance, Pineapple Cilantro, and receive Free Shipping on any purchase of $100 or more.

Free Shipping on orders over $79

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

is there a shelf life on wax tarts?

#1 User is offline   cheryl 

• Scent-addict - in training
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 January 2011 - 10:34 PM

Got so many tarts this past month...trying out various vendors (Can-Do, LOL, Haley's, CBV, CFTKR) I think I went overboard with the ordering and just want to know if there is an expiration with tarts...and candles for that matter (I got 4 from LOL and 4 from CBV).

Also, is it okay to store them all together in a clear bin, as long as they are in their individual packaging?

#2 User is offline   Stardustgirl 

• Wax Princess
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 January 2011 - 11:18 PM

Hee hee!! You've been attacked by the tartmonster!!

[smilie=th_5337c1ad]

I've seen on LOL's site that they state 6 - 12 months, but with the disclaimer it varies by scent. I've melted some that were 2 years old and still threw like crazy (EW Coffee With Santa), but I do try and use what I have within a year.

Candles might last longer. They're in a glass jar instead of plastic, which I think holds things better. I worry about the plastic transferring onto the tart. I had a Spotted Hog candle that was in a pumpkin and it took me 2 Halloweens to burn it *after* the Halloween I got it, and it still could fill my room easily.

I know lots of people use plastic bins to store their things but I'd advise against it because I loathe the smell of plastic, and those tubs really do stink after a while. Since your wax is already in their own containers, you'd be fine with a cardboard box or a basket. That's just my 2 cents though.

#3 User is offline   cheryl 

• PipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 12:40 AM

So true Stardust...I've been attacked! I have so many now, and I'm like holding on to them for some reason. Some of the ones (from CBV) I break off a little piece and throw them in the burner, as if I'm low on supply or something!

I wanted to place an order and try Nene's but really, I can't. I have over 50 now and feel I have to use them up first. I'm going to try and be good. What's funny is, they're almost ALL bakery scents and I'm craving a little something different now...like spa/clean scents.

My next mission is to ask (probably on here) opinions on a scent that most people like. We're putting our house up for sale in early April and I want to have an "inviting" scent that draws a prospective buyer in! lol. Maybe a light vanilla? One realtor actually said smell is very important and the other one...who we're actually going to use (a man) told me houses shouldn't have a "scent". He didn't know I burn my wax or light candles (didn't have it going that night) but he just added that tid bit of info in there. What do you think?

Anyway, didn't mean to ramble on there...but thanks for the info. I didn't know if they lasted or what. Do you ever find your scents mixing? For instance, I had CBV's gain island fresh and coconut pralines next to eachother and the cp kinda smelled like the gain.

Enough babbling...have a good one!

#4 User is offline   PuppyLove 

• Certified scent expert!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:15 AM

Cheryl, here's a forum thread you might find useful:
"Go to Scents for Visitors"

Gail
"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other." -Mother Theresa

#5 User is offline   Stardustgirl 

• Wax Princess
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:34 AM

I've always heard that the smell of baking makes a house inviting - like bread, or cookies, etc. You probably can't go wrong with a sugar cookie scent.

I can't imagine what your realtor is thinking unless he's thinking of super strong scents like making your house smell like a head shop or a candle store, lol! Even without a candle or melt, any house is going to have some kind of scent - be it pets, cleaning products, smoking, or just the people that live there. Something light and neutral that evokes a pleasant emotion has got to be better than nothing at all.

I don't think I've had tarts spill over scent-wise unless they were bagged together. In their own container they *should* be fine. You might try airing it out before melting and that should help.

#6 User is offline   cheryl 

• PipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 02:37 AM

View PostPuppyLove, on 07 January 2011 - 02:15 AM, said:

Cheryl, here's a forum thread you might find useful:
"Go to Scents for Visitors"

Gail

Thanks Gail,

That was very informative. The one realtor said you can't go wrong with an apple or a vanilla, and I think that's how I'll go. Funny how some people's noses can't take a certain scent. I know my husband hates when I have something too buttery or carmelly in the house..but I LOVE it!

#7 User is offline   tunisianswife 

• Certified scent expert!
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2011 - 05:08 AM

I think that must be some 'guy thing' regarding the scent issue. (hubby loves the smell and will sometimes comment on something specific.) I agree that it is inviting.

i don't like clamshells or some of the oval hard plastic cups; it has been my experience that they transfer that plasticy smell onto the wax if they are not used in a short period of time but recently got some clams from Nene that had the smell as soon as I got them so had to toss.
However, the souffle cups don't seem to do that. as a matter of fact, i have a CBV sexy in stilettos(my alltime fav. scent of hers) that I've had for almost a year; (hoarding) and smelled it just yesterday and again today and it smells just like it did the day I got it.

You might want to try taking the one out that smells like apple mango tango and wrap it up in newspaper for a day. reason being: Vicki used to sell heart tarts and buds. I ordered alot of them one time and she (unfortunately and would think she would know better) would bag them in regular glad type sandwich bags like u get at the store. I had ordered some bakery and some of her florals. OMG, it was awful! I mean awful. I had coconut pralines that smelled like peppermint bark, butterscotch or buttery caramel that reaked of balinese breeze, oh gosh, they were terrible. just from sitting next to each other in the box and in those regular plastic bags, they leached into each other big time! I wiped them off but that did nothing.(I can still smell that coconut tainted as we speak...eww). I took them all out of the bags and wrapped them in newspapers so both the front and back of the hearts were touching the paper and left it for about 24 hrs. It did help and therefore continued for another day or so and it got most of it out to the point tha I could melt them except for the coconut and I had to toss those. It's worth a try.
Susan

#8 User is offline   Juletones 

• The Mod Squad
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 January 2011 - 01:07 AM

I've used any bins I could get my hands on, but over time I've come to prefer glass or cardboard. I like the giant sized glass canisters and the decorative boxes that some craft stores carry. I've retired all but one of my plastic containers, and that one is on it's way out too, as soon as I can clear a replacement basket.

Some tarts last longer than others. If I want to keep some special tarts long term I transfer them to their own glass jar. I take them completely out of their plastic and put all one scent in a recycled jar candle container.

Posted Image
Jules

#9 User is offline   candlefan 

• Scent Junkie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationColorado

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:57 PM

I started conducting an experiment a few weeks ago on how to make tarts last longer. This thread got me thinking about what a problem plastics can be in storing tarts, yet it just isn't always practical to provide glass storage for many differently scented, individual tarts.

One evening I cut out squares of waxed paper and completely wrapped up each tart, then placed them back in their little plastic bags. I wanted to see if it would make any difference in containing the scents and preventing cross contamination of scents.

Wow! So far it is making a big difference! I still have fresh/floral tarts and bakery scents stored separately, but I have found that having each tart wrapped up has significantly reduced the amount of mixed scent I smell when I lift the lid on my giant, glass apothecary jar.

But, I'm wondering if the wrapping will help keep the tarts' fragrance oil away from the plastic, too. One of my tarts from CCCC called Kentucky Bourbon Ball, which smells like a chocolately confection, had clearly leached out a tiny bit of oil into the wax paper, but at least the oil never touched the plastic, and the tart smelled great.

At this point, I'm thinking about further experimenting with a big role of parchment paper I've never really used for baking as wrapping for the tarts. I think it might be less likely to absorb the oils, but I'm not sure yet.

One thing's for sure, I put enough money into my wax that I want to make sure it doesn't go bad before I get to it! Has anyone else experimented like this?

#10 User is offline   cyngreen2 

• Admin
  • Group: Administrators
  • LocationDown in the Delta

Posted 10 February 2011 - 01:08 PM

Candlefan, that's a very interesting experiment! Thanks for the information.

Like Jules, I have come to prefer glass containers (haven't tried cardboard). Right now I have way too many melts for the glass containers that I do have. I'm downsizing and trying to empty out several plastic containers that I have melts in. For me, it's not because of a plasticy smell getting into the tarts. Nor have I noticed co-mingling of scents with melts that are individually wrapped/packaged. Those that come bags (like bags of brittle), I've had a harder time keeping the scent isolated.

I'm getting rid of the plastic totes simply because of storage issues. I want to reclaim a bunch of space and it won't happen with the plastic bins. This is mainly why I'm in my current use it up mode.

I've made notes for myself in regards to shelf life by company. Some for me - like LOL, Can Do - seem to have a great throw no matter how long I've had them. Those are also the companies I tend to 'stock up' on, since I know their tarts seem to last longer. I have some LOL melts that are coming up on their 4th birthday that still throw very well. I just went through a stash of Sparklepuss clams (these had to be 2+ years old) and some of them threw like crazy. Even better than when I first bought them!

And some companies just don't seem to have the tart longevity that I need with my stash size. Angie's and CHC come to mind. I still buy from CHC, but I buy in much smaller quantities and tend to set them out to use them sooner rather than later. I had some that were 6 months old that had completely lost their fizz. She has changed her wax so I'm not sure if that will change the longevity. I'll have to experiment with that later.
"Politeness is to human nature what warmth is to wax. " ~Arthur Schopenhauer

Cyn
cyngreen@candlefind.com

#11 User is offline   Anjoymom 

• Scent addict
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 February 2011 - 03:06 PM

I agree with Cyn on this one 100%. Some vendors just have oils that are stronger or either the wax holds the scent better. I have found the exact same thing with Angies and CHC too. I love Donna's scents but they do not last long before melting. So, smaller amounts are best. I found her candles to be ok though. I have some over a year old and are still going strong. Love Angies too but cannot buy alot at one time until I use up my current stash.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users