• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Vegetables

#1 User is offline   Juletones 

• The Mod Squad
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 30 September 2010 - 12:03 PM

Help. I desperately need some good, simple vegetable recipes. I like veg, but my kids seem to be engaged in some sort of protest against them. I admit that I'm not very creative when I cook them. I just heat the darn things up.

Does anyone have ideas or recipes for tasty vegetables? Any good spices I could add?
Jules

#2 User is offline   mpfand 

• Certified scent expert!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • LocationN. Las Vegas

Posted 30 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

I hear ya, Jules. I recently discovered edamame. I buy them frozen at Costco and they come packaged in individual steam bags that you just toss in the microwave for 3 min. Put them in a bowl, add a little sea salt and there you go. My DD loves them and thinks they're fun to eat. She'll eat a whole bag herself, which is equivalent to 2 servings of veggies! I also read somewhere that a good way to disguise veggies is to put them in spaghetti sauce. The article suggested shredding carrots, bell pepper and zucchini right into the sauce.

If your family likes Philly Steak n Cheese I have a super easy way to make your own and it's a good way to sneak in peppers and onions. You'll need hoagie rolls, roast beef, (I buy it from the deli) green bell peppers (I've also thrown in yellow and red) onion and provolone. Saute veggies in a skillet for 5-15 min. (depending on how you like 'em). Toast the rolls under the broiler then add roast beef, veggies and provolone. Return to broiler 'til heated through and cheese is melted. Yummy!

Good luck. I know it's a challenge coming up with ways to get our kids to eat what they should.

#3 User is offline   Stardustgirl 

• Wax Princess
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 September 2010 - 04:42 PM

Hey Jules! [smilie=th_WE1summer013] What kinds of flavors do your kids like? When I wanted to eat more vegetables I found that using flavors I normally like did the trick. I loooove garlic, so often make salad that has strong garlic dressing and a little parmesan cheese. The veggies themselves don't have strong flavor so I just notice the garlic. I did a similar thing with vegetable soup - I added hot sauce to it (I love spicy foods). Stir fry is another way to add veggies to a dish - the sauce is the star flavor.

My mom used to cook veggies like everyone and they were always just limp and didn't taste all that great (so I didn't eat them, lol!)

#4 User is offline   MaggieMae 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Mod Squad

Posted 01 October 2010 - 02:10 AM

I love this one...it is a bit time consuming but if you grate a lot of cauliflower at once...you can make as you need.

Cauliflower Rice A Roni:

Combine 3 tb. of butter (or substitute) and 1 tb. oil in hot pan. Add 1/2 c. diced onion and cook till tender. Add 1 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, 3 bay leaves, 2 tsp. parsley, 1/4 tsp. pepper, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. tumeric.
Stir together then add 4 c. grated cauliflower. (mix for 2 minutes)
Add 1/3 c. chicken broth, stir and cover. Simmer till cauliflower is tender.

This is something my kids will eat and the cauliflower actually looks like rice because it is so small. It might work for you!

#5 User is offline   Juletones 

• The Mod Squad
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 01 October 2010 - 03:40 PM

These are such good ideas. I'm excited to try the recipes. These sound like things we would all like.
Thank you for the input.

Stardustgirl, Cheese. That's the flavor my kids like. lol. That kind of defeats the whole idea of eating healthier. Maybe I could find so lowfat cheese and use it sparingly. We like garlic. I'll try adding some in with the veggies.

Mpfand, I'm going to start shredding some veg and adding it to soups and spaghetti sauces. The Philly Cheesesteaks will be a good, quick meal. I like it.

Maggiemae, what a clever way to serve cauliflower. My kids used to like cauliflower when they were toddlers but won't touch it now. I'll bet they would eat this. I'll definitely try it. It sounds really good.

Jules

#6 User is offline   fleur17 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2010 - 01:28 PM

Here is a great way to cook cauliflower. My family LOVED this and it is so easy to prepare too!

I hope it is okay to post the link (but if not search company cauliflower on allrecipes)

http://allrecipes.co...wer/Detail.aspx

#7 User is offline   MaggieMae 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Mod Squad

Posted 02 October 2010 - 02:29 PM

View Postfleur17, on 02 October 2010 - 01:28 PM, said:

Here is a great way to cook cauliflower. My family LOVED this and it is so easy to prepare too!

I hope it is okay to post the link (but if not search company cauliflower on allrecipes)

http://allrecipes.co...wer/Detail.aspx

Fleur...that looks YUMMO!!!! I think I'm gonna try that one!

#8 User is offline   Cinnamonkitty 

• Pip

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:36 AM

We refer to this recipe as "Tasty Broccoli." It's a staple recipe for us because it is so delicious!

This is an awesome meatloaf recipe which adds in zucchini and peppers. I bet you could add in other veggies too. I absolutely love the zucchini in it.

Here's my favorite recipe for Sloppy Joes. It came from one of my mother's Weight Watcher cookbooks, but I don't remember which one. It's so good and you barely taste that there are carrots, celery, peppers and onions in the mix.

Sloppy Joes
Make 4 servings

1 Tbsp + 1 tsp olive oil
1 cup onion, finely chopped
1/3 cup celery, finely chopped
½ cup carrot, finely chopped
1/3 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
½ tsp oregano leaves
½ tsp thyme leaves
15 oz extra lean ground beef or turkey
1 cup canned chopped plum tomatoes with juice
2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp red wine vinegar
¼ tsp hot pepper sauce
salt and pepper to taste
4 hamburger rolls (2 oz)

In medium saucepan, heat oil; add onions, celery, carrot, and bell pepper. Sauté, stirring occasionally, until onions are translucent, about 10-12 minutes. Add oregano, thyme, and beef, breaking up beef with wooden spoon. Sauté until beef is no longer pink, 3-4 minutes. Combine tomatoes with juice and tomato paste, and add to beef mixture. Cook for 1 minute. Add Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, hot pepper sauce, salt, and pepper; bring to boil, lower heat, and simmer for ten minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve on rolls.

#9 User is offline   Trent 

• Pip

Posted 04 April 2013 - 09:36 AM

Cabbage, brussels sprouts, cauliflower, and broccoli have high content of indoles and isothiocyanates. These components have protective properties against colon cancer, breast cancer, skin cancer and other types of cancers. Broccoli sprouts has immensely high sulforaphane than the matured broccolis, which is a cancer-protective substance. Furthermore, as said before vegetables being great anti-oxidants also alleviates the chances of fatal diseases like cancers.
Vegetables naturally have high levels of water structurally, this is the reason why they are generally fat free and low in calories. You can be rest assured of both your weight and health once you start with vegetable rich diet. The more you consume vegetables, the more is the water intake that flushes out waste products from your body.

This post has been edited by Trent: 04 April 2013 - 09:37 AM

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users