Candlefind Forum: Do tarts go bad over time? - Candlefind Forum

Beckett Media, LLC

Shop our top selling fragrance, Pineapple Cilantro, and receive Free Shipping on any purchase of $100 or more.

Free Shipping on orders over $79

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Do tarts go bad over time?

#1 User is offline   Magica 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:04 AM

Hello everyone!
I have a question that I'm seeing mixed answers on: Do tarts ever go bad/lose their scent over time? I've seen some people saying that they don't last more than 1-2 years, and some say they can last way beyond 2 years. I'm a little concerned because I have quite a large tart collection and I wouldn't want any of them to lose all their smell and go to waste!

I'd ask the same of candles, and perhaps I should, but I've got some that are 5+ years old and uncovered (I lost the lids, shame on me) and still smell just fine, granted I haven't burned them, that's just based on cold throw. But I'd assume candles and tarts would have a similar lifespan? Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

This post has been edited by Magica: 05 August 2012 - 07:07 AM

#2 User is offline   trep 

• Certified scent expert!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationSW Missouri

Posted 05 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

Magica--my experience with tart longevity is that some tarts go bad, some stay the same and some get better. A lot depends on the type of wax and how they are stored. I have found soy tends to change its scent after time, at least some brands do while paraffin is more stable and longer lasting. If you store your tarts with like scented fragrances and keep them cool and dark they will do better. Honestly, I think it is the luck of the draw and so many factors enter in that it is hard to really know how they will hold up until it just happens. I know this isn't very helpful, but it is how it has been for me. Others may have an entirely different answer but this is what has been my experience. I always have a huge amount of tarts on hand and have not had too many I have had to throw out but I only use paraffin these days which has helped.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given.

#3 User is offline   candlefan 

• Scent Junkie
  • PipPipPipPip
  • LocationColorado

Posted 05 August 2012 - 06:58 PM

I would definitely have to agree with Trep that different wax/fragrance blends tend to keep with varying results. I, too, have had less luck with soy blends staying true to scent and lasting through long periods of storage. Paraffin seems to keep indefinitely for me, so long as I keep them with like fragrances and in a rather cool, dark place.

I think it also matters what type of package tarts are kept in. Cellophane wrapping does not seem to interact with fragrance oils the way other types of plastic can. I would say glass takes top honors in preserving fragranced wax, but it can be impractical to use if you have many different fragrances to store, as I do.

#4 User is offline   Magica 

• Pip

Posted 05 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

Yeah I'm not sure if I'd be able to find enough glass containers to store all my tarts, lol! Well I'd say about half my tarts are paraffin, the others are soy... actually I think one companies tarts I have might be a para-soy blend. Would soy candles have the same lifespan as tarts or would they last longer because they're in glass?

This post has been edited by Magica: 05 August 2012 - 07:28 PM

#5 User is offline   cbgirl 

• Certified scent expert!
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • LocationTennessee

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:29 PM

I store my tarts in glass jars, each scent in it's own jar and I've always had good results with them lasting a long time. I usually order several of the same scent also.
Cindy

#6 User is offline   jpnona 

• Pip

Posted 05 August 2012 - 09:41 PM

I don't have a lot of experience in keeping tarts forever, as I try to order only what I can use in a fair amount of time. I have however kept some tarts up to a year and still had them be wonderfully strong when I have melted them. Candles otoh, I don't burn often. Some of the candles in this house are probably 3 - 4 years old and may even smell better than when I bought them. In fact, I've have never heard anyone who "collects" a bunch of a particular scent, say they have gone bad.

This post has been edited by jpnona: 05 August 2012 - 09:42 PM

#7 User is offline   Juletones 

• The Mod Squad
  • Group: Moderators
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 06 August 2012 - 10:39 AM

I've been known to collect a bunch of one particular scent, Posted Imageusually when a favorite vendor discontinues it or closes. Those rare gems go into glass containers. Re-purposed candle jars work well.
Jules

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users